Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Electric Planer vs Sander & How to square a piece of wood with a table saw.

"Bewet Miller" wrote in message

If one has a very small piece can you place it on top of a larger
piece of wood and try to run it through that way? I've not as yet
done that so I don't know.

Yes, that is common practice, just be sure the base piece is square too.

Also, I have tried to square up some boards on my table saw and I have
met with failure. They are anything but square.
Even if I started out with a squared piece and I cut it , it turns out
to be slightly wedge shaped.

Sounds like you may have to do some setup on your tools to be sure they are
square

Any help for me?
I always wear eye & ear protection.
I have a scare to remind me to stand to the side and avoid kick back -
I'm very grateful it was a large piece of wood because I feel a small
piece would have gone through me.

If you can give me any advice or refer me to a web site you thing is
good I'd appreciate the help.

Ask the same question on rec.woodworking and you'll get plenty of help.