Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to rescue a table saw from rust

On 8/16/2009 4:34 PM spake thus:

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 16:57:35 -0400, Aaron Fude
wrote:

I was given a free craftsman table saw with a cast iron top and
extensions. It's never been used and I got it in the original never
opened box.

This saw was built in 1986 and has since been sitting in someone's
garage. The box was penetrated by moisture and the table top and
the extensions are completely rusted. It seems that the top was
covered by a protective sheet of paper and it's now completely
grafted onto the table top surface.

How should I go about rescuing this saw? (The rest of the saw is in
pristine condition.)

I had a fire in my garage, then water damage that left me with a lot
of rusty stuff. Mineral spirits and motor oil 50:50 is pretty good
stuff once you get past the stuff you abrade off. (sand paper, steel
wool, scotch brite or whatever).
It gives you a nice bronze look.

Really any kind of oil will do the trick (well, except linseed oil or
some other kind of oil that will turn sticky). A guy would want to wipe
that oil off after applying anyhow.

After that, I like to rub a piece of wax over the table to make the wood
glide nicely over it. Ordinary candle wax works fine.