Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default "Backstabbed" wiring: bad rap?

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
On 8/15/2009 3:01 PM Robert Green spake thus:

stuff snipped

I bought myself a really nice automatic wire stripper--the kind that
strips the wire in one squeeze, made by GB (Gardner Bender). Very
well-made tool, very useful. Except that it doesn't always strip the
wire correctly. I actually returned the first one I bought because of
this problem, but it seems to be due to inconsistencies in actual wire
diameters between cables that are nominally identical (#12, for
example). So sometimes it strips perfectly, but other times I have to go
to the next-smaller set of teeth, which can nick the wire if you're not
careful.

I had a cable stripper that was set perfectly to strip RG6QS for the
compression connectors I use. It was perfect but a buddy spun it backwards,
the blades popped out and all the king's horses and all the king's men
couldn't put it back together. A good cable stripper is a very helpful
tool, indeed, and can save tedious hours of hand work on a big job.

I bought a pair of Klein Romex strippers that cut it like butter and removes
the outer wrap and the inner insulation on both conductors in one operation.
Works great when new, not sure how it will work after wiring up a house and
the blades get duller. As you point out, though, not every roll of wire is
created equally or exactly to spec so I check every new roll to see if it's
nicking the wire.

I replaced all the switches in my house with X-10 remotely controlled ones
and far too many of the switch wires broke right where the insulation had
been stripped and the wire nicked. One wire broke off so short I had to
pull the box and gouge out the plaster to repair it. Of course that meant
redoing the attendant plastering and painting. Yuck.

--
Bobby G.