Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "Backstabbed" wiring: bad rap?

I'm here to say that the conventional wisdom that one gets here--that
"backstabbed" wiring is bad, evil, and always leads to failure--may not
be correct.

[To the perplexed, "backstabbed" means that instead of using screw
terminals to connect wires to devices such as outlets and switches, the
stripped (solid) wire is pushed into a connector that grabs the wire
inside the device. Very commonly used "in the field".]

The opinion one reads here most often is that this is an inferior wiring
method that must always be suspected when there are electrical problems,
that it should be avoided and that it should be corrected if found.

I'm not sure that's correct.

First of all, it is an approved, UL/CSA tested, and, most importantly,
code-approved (US building code) wiring method. If it was as all-fired
bad as folks here claim, why would it still be allowed? After all, the
building codes tend to err on the side of caution.

My own experience, as limited as it might be, has not shown backstabbed
connections to be the source of any trouble. I recently worked on a
house built in the 1960s in which all devices were backstabbed. I was
called to add a circuit, not to correct any problems. There was no
current problem with any device that I could see, nor was there any
history of any such problems.

I'd like to see some more evidence for the badness of backstabbed
connections. Everything I read here is either based on anecdotal
evidence, or just speculation and personal preference.

I will say that I personally don't like backstabbed connections; as
tempting as they are (a lot faster than
stripping/bending/screwing/crimping using screw connections), I prefer
the "old-school" method. But I do think they've gotten an unfairly bad
rap. Furthermore, I refrain from automatically correcting them
(replacing backstabbed connections with screwed ones) when I see them,
on the theory of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", and I suggest this
to others. Especially newbies and DIYers; I think it's bad advice to
automatically suspect backstabbed connections as the source of a fault,
and to imply that they should all be ripped out and redone.

Let the brawling commence.

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:

First of all, it is an approved, UL/CSA tested, and, most importantly,
code-approved (US building code) wiring method. If it was as all-fired
bad as folks here claim, why would it still be allowed? After all, the
building codes tend to err on the side of caution.

They are allowed by the NEC because they are listed by UL.

UL used allow #12 wire in backstabs. Not anymore. Apparently their
original standard was flawed. (How about the #12 backstabs in use?)

Seems like several failures come up here in this rather limited forum
each year. IMHO they have minimal contact area, minimal clamping
pressure, and in slightly adverse environments are subject to chemical
deterioration. You will probably have no problem with backstabs. You
also probably won't need the pressure relief valve on your water heater.
I don't see any reason to take the chance.

--
bud--
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 08:44:23 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

Note that it is no longer approved for anything except AWG 14 conductors. Code
once permitted the use of AWG 12 conductors in backstabbed connections, as it
once permitted aluminum conductors in branch circuits and various other
practices and materials that have proven in experience to be less safe than
originally believed.

My own experience, as limited as it might be, has not shown backstabbed
connections to be the source of any trouble. I recently worked on a
house built in the 1960s in which all devices were backstabbed. I was
called to add a circuit, not to correct any problems. There was no
current problem with any device that I could see, nor was there any
history of any such problems.

If installed properly _and not disturbed_ it's unlikely they'll have much
problem. OTOH, if a backstabbed receptacle or switch is removed for any
reason, simply the act of moving the device can loosen the connections enough
to cause trouble.

I'd like to see some more evidence for the badness of backstabbed
connections. Everything I read here is either based on anecdotal
evidence, or just speculation and personal preference.

I'd consider the de-listing of AWG 12 conductors to be sufficient evidence.

Solely anecdotal, but seems like quite a coincidence that I've had
problems with them staying connected, particularly in receptacles that
received frequent use (not taking out and working on, simply plugging
and unplugging of appliances). As a previous respondent said, if done
correctly and not disturbed... But if "anecdotally", merely using the
receptacle a lot in the manner intended is enough to cause such
disturbance, well, then it's not functioning as intended.

Now, I don't have non-backstabbed ones with which to compare them, but
I can't fathom that a non-backstabbed receptacle would have done the
same.

My amateur and anecdotal .02 worth.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
[...]

Turning a wire on a screw provides more surface area and more pressure on
the connection. An installer can see how well the connection is made, unlike
the blind connection of a backstab. I personally have used backstabs
thousands of times without any issues. I have the experience to feel when
the conductor is not fitting correctly in the blind clamp and needs to be
redone. The bulk of my business is electrical repair, and a large number of
open circuit problems turn out to be backstabbed outlets. I think some
manufacturers make better backstab connections than others, as there have
been times when I unscrew an outlet and pull it out of the box, leaving four
wires, unattached in the box

Posted to alt.home.repair

So, all the people who have had bad backstap experiences,
we're all just random chance, and not evidence of a problem?
Scuse me while I go barf.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've seen several problems with backstab sockets, but few or
none with wrap around the screw types.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"albee" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bud--" wrote in message
.. .

They are allowed by the NEC because they are listed by UL.

UL used allow #12 wire in backstabs. Not anymore. Apparently their
original standard was flawed. (How about the #12 backstabs in use?)

The practical point is that (in many jurisdictions) the Fire Safety Code
is the only part of the Building Code that is retroactive, i.e. when
the FSC is updated (some) property owners may be obligated to
retrofit (some) structures or fittings so that they comply with the
current code. (I do not know the American system, viz. whether
part or any of the NEC is also in the Fire Safety Code. But codes
are periodically revised, so code authorities may require this
in future.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

I've seen a number of problem push-wire / back-stabbed devices
personally, and they represent a sizable percentage of the number of
problem devices I've dealt with.

I have a house that happily has all 20A circuits with 12ga copper wire
(other than the larger dedicated circuits of course), and has many 12ga
push-wire connections that are no longer allowed.

I've not had specific failures of these connections as the devices seem
to be of reasonable quality, however where I have had opportunity to
replace these devices for other reasons (adding GFCIs or changing to
Decora style devices) I have seen evidence of less than optimum
push-wire connections, i.e. discolored area at the connection point from
heating.

The devices I have used for replacement have generally been the "spec
grade" variety and have had the much better clamp type back-wire
connections. These back-wire connections allow the same convenience of
inserting the stripped wire in a hole without the need to wrap around a
screw, but instead of relying on a feeble spring connection the wire is
captured between full size metal plates that clamp around it with screw
pressure, not a spring.

These back-wire devices also work nicely in my shop where I have
stranded wire pulled through conduit. Stranded wire doesn't work well
wrapped around screw terminals and not at all with the push-wire type
devices.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/14/2009 6:05 PM Pete C. spake thus:

The devices I have used for replacement have generally been the "spec
grade" variety and have had the much better clamp type back-wire
connections. These back-wire connections allow the same convenience of
inserting the stripped wire in a hole without the need to wrap around a
screw, but instead of relying on a feeble spring connection the wire is
captured between full size metal plates that clamp around it with screw
pressure, not a spring.

You're talking about the kind of back-wire connections found on GFCI
outlets, right? To me, that's the best of both worlds: the convenience
and speed of back-wiring plus the positive connection offered by a screw
clamp. I think I'll start using those outlets instead of the el cheapo
Home Despot ones.

These back-wire devices also work nicely in my shop where I have
stranded wire pulled through conduit. Stranded wire doesn't work well
wrapped around screw terminals and not at all with the push-wire type
devices.

Being able to use stranded wire is definitely a plus.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/14/2009 6:18 PM David Nebenzahl spake thus:

You're talking about the kind of back-wire connections found on GFCI
outlets, right? To me, that's the best of both worlds: the convenience
and speed of back-wiring plus the positive connection offered by a screw
clamp. I think I'll start using those outlets instead of the el cheapo
Home Despot ones.

Follow-up to my own reply: Do those "spec-grade" outlets come in
non-Decora style? I generally don't like Decora outlets when installing
in older houses.

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 8/14/2009 6:18 PM David Nebenzahl spake thus:

You're talking about the kind of back-wire connections found on GFCI
outlets, right? To me, that's the best of both worlds: the convenience
and speed of back-wiring plus the positive connection offered by a
screw clamp. I think I'll start using those outlets instead of the el
cheapo Home Despot ones.

Follow-up to my own reply: Do those "spec-grade" outlets come in
non-Decora style? I generally don't like Decora outlets when installing
in older houses.

You can get "spec grade" outlets in the traditional style (I have
several boxes of them waiting for upstairs renovations) but not all of
them have back wire clamp type connections.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 8/14/2009 6:18 PM David Nebenzahl spake thus:

You're talking about the kind of back-wire connections found on GFCI
outlets, right? To me, that's the best of both worlds: the convenience
and speed of back-wiring plus the positive connection offered by a
screw clamp. I think I'll start using those outlets instead of the el
cheapo Home Despot ones.

Follow-up to my own reply: Do those "spec-grade" outlets come in
non-Decora style? I generally don't like Decora outlets when installing
in older houses.

You can get "spec grade" outlets in the traditional style (I have
several boxes of them waiting for upstairs renovations) but not all of
them have back wire clamp type connections.

Yes, also I've yet to see a non Decora style GFCI, so for that you'd
have to resort to a horribly overpriced GFCI breaker to avoid the Decora
style, or else hide the Decora GFCI in a cabinet or similar and use non
Decora receptacles downstream.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 14, 2:51 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:

First of all, it is an approved, UL/CSA tested, and, most importantly,
code-approved (US building code) wiring method. If it was as all-fired
bad as folks here claim, why would it still be allowed? After all, the
building codes tend to err on the side of caution.

However, all kinds of unreliable crap is UL listed. A UL listing is a
pretty good indication that something probably won't kill you or burn
down your house, but says nothing at all about whether it will
function properly. Building codes put a little more emphasis on
function, but are also updated fairly regularly because things that
were once required are finally proven to be bad ideas.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Miller" wrote in message news:h64imf$bt1

stuff snipped

I'd like to see some more evidence for the badness of backstabbed
connections. Everything I read here is either based on anecdotal
evidence, or just speculation and personal preference.

I'd consider the de-listing of AWG 12 conductors to be sufficient

evidence.

I've had two backstab failures, one near a disposal where the switch was
mounted on an outside wall and another on an inside wallswitch. I think the
thermal expansion/contraction plus the disposal vibration did the first one
in. Not sure why the second one failed. It's an indisputable fact, though,
that there's much more connection area in a screwed down wire than there is
with a pinch and grab kind of connector.

If the grabber is hard enough to bite into the copper to make a connection,
it's most likely strong enough to bite through it *eventually* if helped by
vibration, thermal forces and even the simple repeated toggling of the
connected switch. Once arcing starts, no matter how small, corrosion and
failure are likely to follow. More connection area in the screw connections
means less of a chance of arcing or pulling loose. Also, it's very much
harder to see a bad back stab than it is to see a wire not completely under
a screw. I'd agree that the delisted AWG 12 is a strong hint that anecdotal
evidence has added up to backstabbing being a bad idea, both with people and
electrical devices.

BW

Posted to alt.home.repair

Why take the risk? Is the extra two minutes required to pig-tail the ends
and screw them down too much?

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Obviously you have never paid $300 for an electrician to find a bad
one or have the power in you livingroom go out when you have guest
coming over because of one. As far as I am concerned these things were
BROKE the day they were made. After my experience and expense with
them I made the decision to replace all the outlets and switches in my
home. When I started performing the replacements many of the wires
pulled out of the back of the switches and outlets when I was pulling
them out of the box. Most of the wires only required a firm tug to
pull them from the device and only a few actually required me to press
the release.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JIMMIE" wrote in message
[...]

Out of curiosity, do you know who the manufacturer was?

Posted to alt.home.repair

One advantage of a backstabbed connection is that if the end of the
conductor is carefully trimmed, none of the conductor is actually exposed
inside the box. That can reduce the chance of a short, especially in a metal
box or where a bare grounding conductor is present. This would be a
particular advantage if screw terminals were not present at all (uncommon
these days).

Screw terminals can be dangerous too if they are over tightened or
under tightened, or if the conductor is poorly trimmed.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 15, 11:23*am, "RBM" wrote:
"JIMMIE" wrote in message

[...]

Out of curiosity, do you know who the manufacturer was?- Hide quoted text -

Back stabbers just an inherently poorer design.
But as wth aluminum wiring; not every installation will give trouble
etc.

Again as with Al wiring; not every incorrect replacement (by say a
homeowner who doesn't know any better) using a 'Copper Only' light
switch will give trouble or overheat. Have seen them 'discovered'
often with the exclamation "Hey this switch/outlet isn't Al
compatible. Wonder how long that's been there?". Although it never
actually caught fire in that particular usage; same with back
stabbers. There must be very small wire contact areas in most back
stabbers?

Another typical situation being if/when someone was 'finishing their
own basement area'. And maybe hitched up extra copper wiring and
receptacles etc. bought from a local hardware outlet. On the basis of
my uncle showed me how to do it!

And; "Hey Madge. Into XYZ store, pick me up a half dozen duplex
outlets will ya! Them ivory ones; OK?".

I think have seen back-stab outlets that also had screws on the side
and 99% certain, doing work mainly for self, would have used the
screws. With relatively low wattage loads on duplex outlets in many
living areas ) typically a few lamps maybe a domestic TV or 'stereo'
there presumably would be less chance of problems with back stabbers
anyway?

Anywhere there can be 'heavy' wattage loads, and/or frequent
unplugging etc. such as kitchen outlets, around work benches always
best to use high quality duplex and other outlets.

Recently replaced two well used outlets under work bench that were
first installed in the late 1970s. One of them was cracked; don't know
how, but glad we found it! Also when not in use 'all' tool power is
turned off in work shop by one main individually fused 115/230 volt
switch. Also found, to my surprise a single very old style duplex
outlet that must have added for a small tube radio (about 30 watts) on
a small high shelf also off the main workshop feed. Not a backstabber
but so old as to have a weird pattern cover plate. Looks like the
whole thing, metal box and all, might have come out of an old
farmhouse or barn!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"stan" wrote in message
On Aug 15, 11:23 am, "RBM" wrote:
"JIMMIE" wrote in message

[...]

OK, but do you have any particular manufacturer that has given you these
problems?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Perry Aynum" wrote in message
Why take the risk? Is the extra two minutes required to pig-tail the ends
and screw them down too much?

I agree. Why take the risk? But have you ever see a klutzy newbie try to
bend a wire loop or screw down a solid copper wire? I'd say fully half the
rank newbie work is not fully under the screw or formed into the proper
curve and is destined to work loose. I'd say that reason and the "time is
money" contracting rule is why backstabbing got started.

Never on my own work, not after trying to trace that damn intermittent in
the backstabbed disposal switch, but I can see why some contractors do it.
I think it's one of the things that separates the pros from the tyros. Just
like lining up the two screws on a switch faceplate so they are in the same
orientation. (-: I grew up next door to an old-world craftsman of an
electrician who helped wire the NYC subway system. His work is still in use
today. Quality work lasts. But I digress.

A much more critical newbie error is to cut into the wire while stripping it
which is a risk for either sort of connection method, screw or backstab.
Ah, for a nickle for every time I've seen or accidentally done that myself!

Newbies and wire nuts don't mix well, either. Stripped end of wires too
long, too short, wrong size nut, wrong mix of wires, twist not twisted
enough. There's no end to sad tales with wire nuts in the hands of the
inexperienced. My favorite is three wires under one nut with a virtually
untwisted center wire that pulls right out on the first tug. I am much more
concerned with bad wire nutting than with backstabbing.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JIMMIE" wrote in message news:505bc2e9-

stuff snipped

When I started performing the replacements many of the wires
pulled out of the back of the switches and outlets when I was pulling
them out of the box. Most of the wires only required a firm tug to
pull them from the device and only a few actually required me to press
the release.

Easy to believe. If they were made offshore, there's no way to tell whether
someone dumped the metallurgical equivalent of melamine into the metal they
used to make the springs that clip the wire in. Metal can change properties
over time with corrosion and stresses of various kinds. A loss of
springiness is easy to imagine. As I recall the bum switch I had was the
same. The backstabbed wires came out without pressing in the release. That
CAN'T be good!

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 15, 6:01*pm, "Robert Green" wrote:
[...]

I found problems with wire nuts also in my lighting. On several
ovehead light the wires just pulled out of the nuts when I pulled them
down for inspection. I also found 6 lights, two in the bathrooms and
four outside that did not have J boxes They were just screwed to the
wall withe the wirenuts tucked inside the wall. None of the light
fixtures were grounded. I later heard that the electrician only did
the electrical rough-in. The unskilled labour installed the lights and
outlets.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/15/2009 3:01 PM Robert Green spake thus:

A much more critical newbie error is to cut into the wire while
stripping it which is a risk for either sort of connection method,
screw or backstab. Ah, for a nickle for every time I've seen or
accidentally done that myself!

Since you mention it, this is certainly a potential source of
frustration to anyone doing wiring, newbie or not.

I bought myself a really nice automatic wire stripper--the kind that
strips the wire in one squeeze, made by GB (Gardner Bender). Very
well-made tool, very useful. Except that it doesn't always strip the
wire correctly. I actually returned the first one I bought because of
this problem, but it seems to be due to inconsistencies in actual wire
diameters between cables that are nominally identical (#12, for
example). So sometimes it strips perfectly, but other times I have to go
to the next-smaller set of teeth, which can nick the wire if you're not
careful.

When this tool works correctly it's an absolute pleasure to use: put the
wire into the right set of teeth, squeeze, and the insulation is ejected
like a shell casing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 17:11:02 -0700 (PDT), JIMMIE
wrote:

I found problems with wire nuts also in my lighting. On several
ovehead light the wires just pulled out of the nuts when I pulled them
down for inspection. I also found 6 lights, two in the bathrooms and
four outside that did not have J boxes They were just screwed to the
wall withe the wirenuts tucked inside the wall. None of the light
fixtures were grounded. I later heard that the electrician only did
the electrical rough-in. The unskilled labour installed the lights and
outlets.

They should send people to jail for such shoddy work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
On 8/15/2009 3:01 PM Robert Green spake thus:

stuff snipped

I bought myself a really nice automatic wire stripper--the kind that
strips the wire in one squeeze, made by GB (Gardner Bender). Very
well-made tool, very useful. Except that it doesn't always strip the
wire correctly. I actually returned the first one I bought because of
this problem, but it seems to be due to inconsistencies in actual wire
diameters between cables that are nominally identical (#12, for
example). So sometimes it strips perfectly, but other times I have to go
to the next-smaller set of teeth, which can nick the wire if you're not
careful.

I had a cable stripper that was set perfectly to strip RG6QS for the
compression connectors I use. It was perfect but a buddy spun it backwards,
the blades popped out and all the king's horses and all the king's men
couldn't put it back together. A good cable stripper is a very helpful
tool, indeed, and can save tedious hours of hand work on a big job.

I bought a pair of Klein Romex strippers that cut it like butter and removes
the outer wrap and the inner insulation on both conductors in one operation.
Works great when new, not sure how it will work after wiring up a house and
the blades get duller. As you point out, though, not every roll of wire is
created equally or exactly to spec so I check every new roll to see if it's
nicking the wire.

I replaced all the switches in my house with X-10 remotely controlled ones
and far too many of the switch wires broke right where the insulation had
been stripped and the wire nicked. One wire broke off so short I had to
pull the box and gouge out the plaster to repair it. Of course that meant
redoing the attendant plastering and painting. Yuck.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JIMMIE" wrote in message news:c85f6246-
stuff snipped
[...]

The same crew must have wired my house!

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Larry The Snake Guy wrote:
On Aug 14, 2:51 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:

First of all, it is an approved, UL/CSA tested, and, most importantly,
code-approved (US building code) wiring method. If it was as all-fired
bad as folks here claim, why would it still be allowed? After all, the
building codes tend to err on the side of caution.

However, all kinds of unreliable crap is UL listed. A UL listing is a
pretty good indication that something probably won't kill you or burn
down your house, but says nothing at all about whether it will
function properly.

By coincidence I have the UL standard [15 years old] for "Snap Switches".
For AC-only switches (which is what are commonly used) the switch must
pass all the following at rated voltage:
- 10,000 operations at rated current
- 10,000 operations at rated current and power factor around 0.8
- 10,000 operations at rated current controlling incandescent loads
[high inrush current]
- 100 operations at 4.8x rated current and power factor around 0.5

IMHO this is testing for whether the switch will "function properly".

My recollection is receptacle tests are similarly rigorous and include
plugging and unplugging and operating for a periods at significantly
above rated current.

I think most of us would be very unhappy if fuses or circuit breakers
that are UL listed did not "function properly".

For devices like TVs, it is not possible (or desirable) for UL to
determine if the device is actually useful. The test is whether the
device will "kill you or burn down your house".

Standards may not be perfect. They weren't for #12 backstabs, old
technology #12 and #10 aluminum wire, or devices originally used with
that wire. And standards for GFCIs have changed quite a bit.

IMHO standards are not adequate for #14 backstabs - maybe if they were
limited to #20 wire or smaller....

Building codes put a little more emphasis on
function, but are also updated fairly regularly because things that
were once required are finally proven to be bad ideas.

The NEC has very few equipment construction requirements and I can't
think of any performance requirements.

The 'prime directive' is that "equipment required or permitted by this
Code shall be acceptable only if approved".

"Approved" is "acceptable to the authority having jurisdiction."

The NEC generally has only a few rather general guidelines on what
should be acceptable. "Authorities" generally accept equipment that is
"listed" or "labeled", but it is up to the "authorities".

The NEC did not eliminate #12 backstabs or change requirements for #12
and #10 aluminum wiring.

--
bud--

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Green wrote:

Newbies and wire nuts don't mix well, either. Stripped end of wires too
long, too short, wrong size nut, wrong mix of wires, twist not twisted
enough. There's no end to sad tales with wire nuts in the hands of the
inexperienced. My favorite is three wires under one nut with a virtually
untwisted center wire that pulls right out on the first tug. I am much more
concerned with bad wire nutting than with backstabbing.

--
Bobby G.

The connection would probably have been strong if all three wires had
been virtually untwisted. When John Blomstrand filed to patent the wire
nut in 1950, that was his intent. If wires are straight and solid and
of equal gage with even ends, I suppose the threads of a wire nut should
engage every wire in a bundle of as many as six, mashing them together
with no wiggle room.

Thirty years ago it was apparently common for electricians to use wire
nuts badly, twisting wires together clockwise before twisting on the
connector clockwise, then hoping tape would hold everything in place.
I've redone many.

I love wire nuts even for conductors of dissimilar gages and stranded
conductors, each of which may make it trickier to use wire nuts. Nearly
40 years ago, I installed a fairing on my motorcycle, which entailed
splicing splicing the six stranded conductors of the fairing's wiring
harness to six stranded conductors on my motorcycle. I used wire nuts.
I've ridden more than 100,000 miles since then and never parked
indoors, and those connections have never needed attention.

Pruning shrubs five years ago, I snipped the cord of my expensive
headphones. The copper strands were too fine to solder, so I taped the
three conductors with masking tape and used a wire nut to apply pressure
and provide mechanical strength. Those phones still work fine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com
I'm here to say that the conventional wisdom that one gets here--that
"backstabbed" wiring is bad, evil, and always leads to failure--may
not be correct.

Agreed, but that doesn't make them preferable. They're used to save
money, mostly by electricianls.

The opinion one reads here most often is that this is an inferior
wiring method that must always be suspected when there are electrical
problems, that it should be avoided and that it should be corrected
if found.
I'm not sure that's correct.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Backtabs are not a ticket to charing
more money for fixing what ain't broke.

First of all, it is an approved, UL/CSA tested, and, most importantly,
code-approved (US building code) wiring method. If it was as all-fired
bad as folks here claim, why would it still be allowed? After all, the
building codes tend to err on the side of caution.

All irrelevent: Those are safety standards and the only thing they test
for is that they meet their specs, won't create a shock hazard or a fire
hazard. They could care less if they stopped working and sometign
opened 3 hours after installation. As long as there's no safety hazard,
they will be passed.

Let the brawling commence.

It's a pretty stupid person that posts something only to see the
outcomes of a few who will bit on the troll bait.

Twayne`

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Twayne" wrote:

It's a pretty stupid person that posts something only to see the
outcomes of a few who will bit on the troll bait.

So how would you characterize those who bit?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/16/2009 10:25 AM Twayne spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com

Let the brawling commence.

It's a pretty stupid person that posts something only to see the
outcomes of a few who will bit on the troll bait.

Would you have felt differently if I had put a smiley face after that
statement?

Hint: I don't do smiley faces.

Posted to alt.home.repair

bud-- wrote:

Larry The Snake Guy wrote:
[...]

The standard you quote may or may not test whether the device will
"function properly" as you did not include the pass / fail standards. If
the fail standard is "fire" and the pass standard is "no fire", then the
switch could well stop functioning "properly" well under the cycle count
limit and still pass the test.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:
bud-- wrote:
Larry The Snake Guy wrote:
[...]

The "pass standard", _as I stated_, is that "the switch must pass all
the following". The switch must still work after over 30,000 operations.
And that is only part of the standard.

UL standards, as they apply to wiring components (switches, receptacles,
fuses, circuit breakers, panels, wire, motor starters, wire nuts, ...),
is that those products will "function properly", not just that they will
fail safely.

For some other equipment, like TVs and industrial control panels, it is
not practical or desirable to test if the device functions as intended,
and the test is that it fails safely. That may involve using "listed" or
"recognized" component parts that are tested to "function properly" as
above.

--
bud--
Posted to alt.home.repair

bud-- wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
bud-- wrote:
Larry The Snake Guy wrote:
[...]

What you stated, did not include pass criteria as *I stated*.

UL standards, as they apply to wiring components (switches, receptacles,
fuses, circuit breakers, panels, wire, motor starters, wire nuts, ...),
is that those products will "function properly", not just that they will
fail safely.

You say that, but you did not post the actual UL test pass criteria.

For some other equipment, like TVs and industrial control panels, it is
not practical or desirable to test if the device functions as intended,
and the test is that it fails safely. That may involve using "listed" or
"recognized" component parts that are tested to "function properly" as
above.

All UL tests that I'm aware of test only for safety, not durability,
reliability, or functionality. If the device does not cause a hazardous
condition that might result in an insurance claim (note it is
*Underwriters* Laboratories, not *Consumers* Laboratories), it passes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:
bud-- wrote:
Pete C. wrote:
bud-- wrote:
Larry The Snake Guy wrote:
[...]

My original post said "the switch must pass all the following at rated
voltage". I quoted a portion of that in my last post. With minimal
reading ability anyone should be able to determine the UL test requires
a switch to survive over 30,000 operations at rated voltage and at least
rated current.

UL standards, as they apply to wiring components (switches, receptacles,
fuses, circuit breakers, panels, wire, motor starters, wire nuts, ...),
is that those products will "function properly", not just that they will
fail safely.

You say that, but you did not post the actual UL test pass criteria.

With minimal reading ability anyone should be able to determine switches
need to pass all of the following:

- 10,000 operations at rated current
- 10,000 operations at rated current and power factor around 0.8
- 10,000 operations at rated current controlling incandescent loads
[high inrush current]
- 100 operations at 4.8x rated current and power factor around 0.5

That is what my original post said and the requirements were taken from
the UL standard.

For some other equipment, like TVs and industrial control panels, it is
not practical or desirable to test if the device functions as intended,
and the test is that it fails safely. That may involve using "listed" or
"recognized" component parts that are tested to "function properly" as
above.

All UL tests that I'm aware of test only for safety, not durability,
reliability, or functionality. If the device does not cause a hazardous
condition that might result in an insurance claim (note it is
*Underwriters* Laboratories, not *Consumers* Laboratories), it passes.

Then you are apparently not aware of a lot of UL tests.

--
bud--

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 00:53:45 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

I had a cable stripper that was set perfectly to strip RG6QS for the
compression connectors I use. It was perfect but a buddy spun it

backwards,
the blades popped out and all the king's horses and all the king's men
couldn't put it back together.

If that is the stack of metal plates with a couple razor blades in it,
there should be a tool included to set the blade depth.
It is a metal rod with fly cuts at the proper depth. Clamp it in the
stripper, set the blades to just touch the rod and tighten up the
screws holding the stack together..

If only it went back together and stayed together. Once it threw the
blades, it didn't go back together worth a damn. It's very possible that
some tiny wire springs popped out when it "barfed its blades." I've not be
able to find a similar, three-bladed replacement but I keep looking. );
Thanks for your input.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"E Z Peaces" wrote in message
Robert Green wrote:

[...]

Me too. It's amazing how many bad ones I've come across where the twisting
was bad or they didn't even use close to the right sized wire nut. My
favorites, for 110VAC work, have little metal springs inside the nut. I
prefer them without the metal inside for low voltage wiring, especially when
I am not sure I am looking at the final configuration.

I love wire nuts even for conductors of dissimilar gages and stranded
conductors, each of which may make it trickier to use wire nuts. Nearly
40 years ago, I installed a fairing on my motorcycle, which entailed
splicing splicing the six stranded conductors of the fairing's wiring
harness to six stranded conductors on my motorcycle. I used wire nuts.
I've ridden more than 100,000 miles since then and never parked
indoors, and those connections have never needed attention.

There's no doubt they can be done well in the hands of an experienced user.
The problem is that in the hands of a beginner, they are usually not well
done, and in my experience, bad wire nutting has caused many more problems
than backstabbing. Bad nutting is also a lot harder to detect than someone
failing to get most of the wire under a screw.

Pruning shrubs five years ago, I snipped the cord of my expensive
headphones. The copper strands were too fine to solder, so I taped the
three conductors with masking tape and used a wire nut to apply pressure
and provide mechanical strength. Those phones still work fine.

Hmm, I have a similar pair in the junk drawer that's also unsolderable. I
think I might give your approach a try.

--
Bobby G.