Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default "Backstabbed" wiring: bad rap?

"JIMMIE" wrote in message news:505bc2e9-

stuff snipped

When I started performing the replacements many of the wires
pulled out of the back of the switches and outlets when I was pulling
them out of the box. Most of the wires only required a firm tug to
pull them from the device and only a few actually required me to press
the release.

Easy to believe. If they were made offshore, there's no way to tell whether
someone dumped the metallurgical equivalent of melamine into the metal they
used to make the springs that clip the wire in. Metal can change properties
over time with corrosion and stresses of various kinds. A loss of
springiness is easy to imagine. As I recall the bum switch I had was the
same. The backstabbed wires came out without pressing in the release. That
CAN'T be good!

--
Bobby G.