Scott Cramer

Default Hand plane - can you REALLY joint a perfectly straight edge?

On 12 Nov 2003, Juergen Hannappel spake unto rec.woodworking:

Scott Cramer writes:

On 12 Nov 2003, Bay Area Dave spake unto rec.woodworking:

[... How is it possible that a hand plane joints? ]

You are a certifiable idiot.

Not because of that question.

You are new here ;-)

Why do you think a long plane is called a jointer plane?

Just that a jointer plane is called jointer plane is *not* an
explanation of how it works, and it is by no means obvoius that
jointing with a jointer plane does work.

For the first part, I agree, the name does not explain the working of
a jointer plane.

'Automobile' doesn't tell us anything about internal combustion or
differential gearing, however, we understand it to mean a self-propelled
vehicle. Nor do we need to understand how it works to know THAT it works.

I will make the huge assumptive leap that a power jointer is called a
power jointer because it performs the task performed by its predecessor,
the jointer plane. If, by 'jointing', we mean 'truing an edge square to
the face of a board', than I think it is indeed obvious that the expected
result of using a jointer plane is a squared, true edge.

Forgive my sarcasm in the initial post. BAD's unwillingness to make
any effort whatsoever in finding an answer to any question that pops into
his head, other than asking someone else to take the trouble, is like a
blackberry seed in a wisdom tooth. Not painful, but persisitently
annoying.

Scott