Posted to alt.home.repair
jeff_wisnia[_2_] jeff_wisnia[_2_] is offline

Default electric water heater question

dpb wrote:
albee wrote:

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 16:38:37 GMT, (Ron in
NY) wrote:

albee wrote:

So, I turned the breakers off (two 30 amp ones), and pulled the wires
out of the breakers to measure the resistance between them.

I'm surprised that nobody picked up on this---You are not supposed to
have
two 30 amp breakers feeding your water heater. You are supposed to
have 1 two pole breaker. Are you sure you are checking the right 2
breakers ???

Thanks! LOL... yeah, right ones, as when I turn them off the power
goes off. All of my "dual" appear to be singles, with the two switches
bound by a metal clip so that they switch together. Florida home,
built in 1986.

That's OK, but _ONLY_ as long as they are "ganged" and were designed by
the OEM to so be...

--

What bothers me about one of the OP's description (If I got it right) is
that he says the wires connected to those two breakers are exiting

***********
I've replaced both 30A breakers that go from my box, and to my water
heater. FWIW, I just realized when I replaced them I reversed them, so
that the breaker exiting through the bottom of the panel is on top and
the breaker on the bottom exits the panel on the top. But should not
matter; both are 30 amp and go to the same appliance.
They each measure 120 individually, and measuring between them I get
240.

Is it just me, or does this sound weird to anyone else in this thread?

Come to think of it, it'd be pretty funny if we've been the unwitting
victims of a very competant troller, wouldn't it?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)