Posted to alt.home.repair
albee albee is offline

Default electric water heater question

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 12:53:06 -0500, dpb wrote:

albee wrote:
On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 16:38:37 GMT, (Ron in
NY) wrote:

albee wrote:

So, I turned the breakers off (two 30 amp ones), and pulled the wires
out of the breakers to measure the resistance between them.
I'm surprised that nobody picked up on this---You are not supposed to have
two 30 amp breakers feeding your water heater. You are supposed to have 1
two pole breaker. Are you sure you are checking the right 2 breakers ???

Thanks! LOL... yeah, right ones, as when I turn them off the power
goes off. All of my "dual" appear to be singles, with the two switches
bound by a metal clip so that they switch together.
Florida home, built in 1986.

That's OK, but _ONLY_ as long as they are "ganged" and were designed by
the OEM to so be...

MYSTER SOLVED:

So, turns out that TECO, Tampa Electric, has a control on my water
heater. I knew they did that on my pool pump; didn't know about the
heater. So THAT'S the junction where the black turns to white, and
where they turned the power to the white off. Well, they do that
periodically at peak times, in exchange for a small rebate to us. BUT,
their box is malfunctioning, thus shutting down the power to one of
the 120 v lines for the last day! Called them, they said it wasn't
being controlled (but my box says it is), and so they're coming out to
fix it. Arghh... LOL...

Thanks so much for all the help people!