Posted to alt.home.repair
albee albee is offline

Default electric water heater question

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 12:57:09 -0500, dpb wrote:

albee wrote:
I did disconnect and replace the two breakers, but indeed, they were
two 120v, 30A breakers. So hooked up individually (though I did
realize I have them reversed; haven't switched them back as they're
both to the same appliance). See my other reply in this thread that I
posted about :10 ago, where I included more specifics if you'd like to
read more on this odyssey

Have what reversed???

I read the other response; my conclusion is you've got a mucked
installation and you have no hope of solving the problem on your own.

If the previous post about having two leads w/ 120V to ground from each
but 0V between is indeed correct you _STILL_ have the two connected to
the same phase somehow/somewhere; there's simply no other way to do that.

I'm outta' here--this is futile; you need onsite expert help before you
make a big mistake.

My mistake on the two leads with 120v to ground; I was measuring from
the thermostat, wherein I wasn't measuring the lead; merely another
point in the circuit, so I was measuring the ONE lead both times. When
I disconnected the thermostat and measured, only one lead had 120v to
ground, the other is 0.
I understand not wanting to address it anymore. I truly don't think
anything's really mucked up, in that it's always worked and all I've
done is replace breakers (and they aren't reversed).

Indeed, it appears that something happened to one of the wires between
the panel and the heater, likely at a junction box.
Thanks again for the help!