Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default electric water heater question

albee wrote:

Well, I confirmed which breaker is the one that feeds the black wire
which apparently becomes white at a junction box. And, unfortunately,
it goes outside from the main panel, into where the electric co. meter
is, and then a pipe goes down underground from there. So I have no
idea where a junction box might be for it? It wouldn't be IN the
electric co. meter, would it? It's got their "lock" on it; unsure
about trying to undo that, esp. if not needed.
The other breaker wire goes up to the attic, so I was going to try to
find a junction box up there, but that's the wire that still comes out
black and that has 120v, so no problem with that one.

Odd, too, that all (except the range) other 240v circuits (they're all
two 120v breakers) have one black and one white wire, but not this
one. But, they're definitely the ones, in that they've always been
linked and have always worked as such.

This sounds royally mucked up...

Call an electrician; you obviously aren't experienced enough to fully
understand what you have and figure out what should be and the
descriptions sound as though somebody else has done a hack job.

Now, it _may_ be there's a rational and Code-compliant reason for all
this but surely there's no chance of ever getting it resolved via usenet
given the difficulties of communication...