Posted to alt.home.repair
albee albee is offline

Default electric water heater question

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 07:37:19 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
albee wrote:

Okay, replaced the upper thermostat. Still no reading between L1 and
L3; should there be? Still 120 from each pole to ground.
No reading between the upper element contact screws, so no power is
getting there. Another bad thermostat? I'm stumped (but that doesn't
take much).

You can't fix something until you understand it. The VOM is one of the
strangest tools ever invented, in that it gives people who don't
understand a circuit the idea that they can troubleshoot it. After all,
they have the tool.

Until you can draw and understand a schematic of the system, the VOM is
about as useful as a screen door on a submarine. You poke it around here
and there, and you think it's giving you information, but it isn't. It's
just giving you a useless number.

So step one, draw the circuit. A guy who already understands the system
can skip this step, and that's why you see an electrician just probing
here and there with a meter. But in his head, that circuit is either
clear as day, or becoming clear as he probes.

I appreciate your sentiments, and clearly, it would be VASTLY
advantageous to fully understand schematics. However, with the help of
knowledgeable (and patient) people, I think one can take the
appropriate measurements and diagnose a problem. Indeed, a lot harder
and one ends up going down some wrong paths (hence the patience
requirement on the helpers' parts), but I think it can be done. I
imagine it is frustrating for you and some with the requisite
knowledge, but I appreciate whatever help anyone can provide. I really
would like to understand electrical issues better, and perhaps
someday...