Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default "Backstabbed" wiring: bad rap?

"stan" wrote in message
On Aug 15, 11:23 am, "RBM" wrote:
"JIMMIE" wrote in message

On Aug 14, 2:51 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:

I'm here to say that the conventional wisdom that one gets here--that
"backstabbed" wiring is bad, evil, and always leads to failure--may not
be correct.

[To the perplexed, "backstabbed" means that instead of using screw
terminals to connect wires to devices such as outlets and switches, the
stripped (solid) wire is pushed into a connector that grabs the wire
inside the device. Very commonly used "in the field".]

The opinion one reads here most often is that this is an inferior wiring
method that must always be suspected when there are electrical problems,
that it should be avoided and that it should be corrected if found.

I'm not sure that's correct.

First of all, it is an approved, UL/CSA tested, and, most importantly,
code-approved (US building code) wiring method. If it was as all-fired
bad as folks here claim, why would it still be allowed? After all, the
building codes tend to err on the side of caution.

My own experience, as limited as it might be, has not shown backstabbed
connections to be the source of any trouble. I recently worked on a
house built in the 1960s in which all devices were backstabbed. I was
called to add a circuit, not to correct any problems. There was no
current problem with any device that I could see, nor was there any
history of any such problems.

I'd like to see some more evidence for the badness of backstabbed
connections. Everything I read here is either based on anecdotal
evidence, or just speculation and personal preference.

I will say that I personally don't like backstabbed connections; as
tempting as they are (a lot faster than
stripping/bending/screwing/crimping using screw connections), I prefer
the "old-school" method. But I do think they've gotten an unfairly bad
rap. Furthermore, I refrain from automatically correcting them
(replacing backstabbed connections with screwed ones) when I see them,
on the theory of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", and I suggest this
to others. Especially newbies and DIYers; I think it's bad advice to
automatically suspect backstabbed connections as the source of a fault,
and to imply that they should all be ripped out and redone.

Let the brawling commence.

Obviously you have never paid $300 for an electrician to find a bad
one or have the power in you living room go out when you have guest
coming over because of one. As far as I am concerned these things were
BROKE the day they were made. After my experience and expense with
them I made the decision to replace all the outlets and switches in my
home. When I started performing the replacements many of the wires
pulled out of the back of the switches and outlets when I was pulling
them out of the box. Most of the wires only required a firm tug to
pull them from the device and only a few actually required me to press
the release.

Out of curiosity, do you know who the manufacturer was?- Hide quoted
text -

Back stabbers just an inherently poorer design.
But as wth aluminum wiring; not every installation will give trouble
etc.

Again as with Al wiring; not every incorrect replacement (by say a
homeowner who doesn't know any better) using a 'Copper Only' light
switch will give trouble or overheat. Have seen them 'discovered'
often with the exclamation "Hey this switch/outlet isn't Al
compatible. Wonder how long that's been there?". Although it never
actually caught fire in that particular usage; same with back
stabbers. There must be very small wire contact areas in most back
stabbers?

Another typical situation being if/when someone was 'finishing their
own basement area'. And maybe hitched up extra copper wiring and
receptacles etc. bought from a local hardware outlet. On the basis of
my uncle showed me how to do it!

And; "Hey Madge. Into XYZ store, pick me up a half dozen duplex
outlets will ya! Them ivory ones; OK?".

I think have seen back-stab outlets that also had screws on the side
and 99% certain, doing work mainly for self, would have used the
screws. With relatively low wattage loads on duplex outlets in many
living areas ) typically a few lamps maybe a domestic TV or 'stereo'
there presumably would be less chance of problems with back stabbers
anyway?

Anywhere there can be 'heavy' wattage loads, and/or frequent
unplugging etc. such as kitchen outlets, around work benches always
best to use high quality duplex and other outlets.

Recently replaced two well used outlets under work bench that were
first installed in the late 1970s. One of them was cracked; don't know
how, but glad we found it! Also when not in use 'all' tool power is
turned off in work shop by one main individually fused 115/230 volt
switch. Also found, to my surprise a single very old style duplex
outlet that must have added for a small tube radio (about 30 watts) on
a small high shelf also off the main workshop feed. Not a backstabber
but so old as to have a weird pattern cover plate. Looks like the
whole thing, metal box and all, might have come out of an old
farmhouse or barn!

OK, but do you have any particular manufacturer that has given you these
problems?