Posted to uk.d-i-y
John MacLeod[_2_] John MacLeod[_2_] is offline

Default microwave oven

The message

from Lee Nowell contains these words:

Funnily enough, it is a Sharp microwave obviously a common problem.
Is it easy/ cost effective to fix?

I've had two different display failures on Sharp microwaves.

The first one was simply due to corrosion on the conductors on a printed
ribbon cable from the display to the pcb controlling it. I cut off the
very end and cleaned up the printed conductor on the cable as best I
could. Reckoned it wouldn't last long, especially as some of hte
conductor had come away with the corrosion. Retired the microwave to
our holiday home where it's still going strong with a perfectly-working
display.

Bought another to replace the semi-retired one. Another Sharp. Display
failed after a year and a few days. Fault internal to the display this
time. Last piece of Sharp equipment that will enter this house.