Mike G

Default cabinet build/design question

If I understand what you are asking. No, cross members aren't required to
hold the case but they will go a long way towards keeping that bottom shelf
from sagging from either weight or age.

Out of the half dozen books I have on cabinet making the one I find most
useful is "Cabinetmaking Procedures for the small shop" Kevin Fristad and
John Ward.

--
Mike G.
Heirloom Woods
"The Good Bohemian" wrote in message

I was wondering if some of you more seasoned cabinet makers might
answer a few burning questions?? I am in the midst of getting some
really good books (among them would be 'Cabinetmaking and Millwork,
Feirer'). Before I get the reference material in, I was wondering if
someone could set me straight on carcase construction with either 3/4
particle board or cabinet quality ply or mdf, etc... At the base of
the cabinet (let's use a vanity as an example), there's a 4" kickplate
that holds the cabinet off the floor and provides support and moisture
protection (I presume). Are there supposed to be cross braces in this
kick plate construction? In other words, is it sufficient to hold the
cabinet assy. on top of 4 4" boards on the perimeter and one sheet over
top without having crossers underneath? I don't know if I am being
clear or not but try to envision the base of a cabinet where the
kickplate is... Is there anything behind the kickplate holding the
cabinet up or is it just held on with the simple frame and a sheet over
top?

I have been endlessly scowering the net for good detailed info on
carcase construction but it seems tricky to come by. I will start with
Feirer's book and go from there but in the meantime, if any of you
could suggest other texts, videos, etc. I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew.
(St. Catahrines)