Posted to alt.home.repair
albee albee is offline

Default electric water heater question

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 20:39:43 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

The power from one pole can show at both screws, so both
being 120 to ground doesn't mean much. My gut sense at this
moment, you may have a bad aquastat, and you're getting
power to both sides of the element from one pole of the
power. Check to see the element is getting 240 VAC. I mean
237, sorry.

I'm not even getting 237 v. to the upper thermostat, which receives
the power before it gets to the elements. I only get 237 v. out of the
breaker (at the screws; when breaker is off, it's 0, hence that is
indeed my output). But as soon as it's coming out of the wall at the
heater, it's 0.