Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default electric water heater question

"albee" wrote in message
I'm not getting any power to my upper thermostat, but checked the
breaker and have 120 and each pole there. I checked the top of the
heater, where the wires come out of the wall and attach to the wires
going into the heater, and I get 2.5 volts coming out of the wall.
Any thoughts on where/what happened?! Do I have to dig through my
walls?! FWIW, I'm in Tampa, FL area, home of massive lightning, which
we had yesterday, but only noticed no hot water today, after two
people showered okay. Possibly they had enough hot water even if it
went out yesterday? But still, I have power out of the breaker...?
Thanks.

The first thing you need to check, is that you have 240 volts across the two
poles of the breaker. If one leg of the breaker is bad, you'd still get 120
volts from each of them to ground. Once you've determined that you do have
240 volts at the breaker, you can move on to step two.