Mark Jerde

Default cabinet build/design question

The Good Bohemian wrote:

At the base of
the cabinet (let's use a vanity as an example), there's a 4" kickplate
that holds the cabinet off the floor and provides support and moisture
protection (I presume). Are there supposed to be cross braces in this
kick plate construction? In other words, is it sufficient to hold the
cabinet assy. on top of 4 4" boards on the perimeter and one sheet
over top without having crossers underneath? I don't know if I am
being clear or not but try to envision the base of a cabinet where the
kickplate is... Is there anything behind the kickplate holding the
cabinet up or is it just held on with the simple frame and a sheet
over top?

My kitchen cabinets (assuming I ever get around to making 'em g) will use
legs like the "Cabinet Legs 45010-90" on this page:
http://www.cabinetmaking.com/hardware.html
The adjustable legs make leveling the cabinets much easier than the
traditional 2x4 & shims method.

Based on someone's good idea sometime back, they will also have drawers for
cookie sheets and the like between the adjustable legs.

-- Mark