Posted to alt.home.repair
Mortimer Schnerd Mortimer Schnerd is offline

Default JD Lawn Tractor Starter Problems

dpb wrote:

What did I suggest in very first response????

Remove each cable at each end and clean both cable ends and mounting
locations thoroughly. At battery ends particularly one of the foaming
battery cleaners/neutralizers would be good followed by the thorough
rinse they recommend and then a terminal protectant.

Also make sure to trace the negative battery cable to the ground mount
location and do your duty there as well.

It's true; you said it and I did it. I want to thank everybody who
contributed to helping me out by offering advice.

And I suspect I will be shopping for a battery tomorrow to avoid buying
a starter later. It's not like I didn't get my money's worth out of
this one. Even the batteries in my cars are usually ready to fail after
four years. Lawn tractor batteries aren't usually known for their
longevity so I must have gotten a good one by accident. That and
religious use of a battery tender.

Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerd at carolina.rr.com