Posted to uk.d-i-y
BigWallop[_2_] BigWallop[_2_] is offline

Default High level bog cistern

Tim S wrote:
BigWallop coughed up some electrons that declared:

Ah Ha!! No surprise at things not be striaght, right enough.

It's the joy of pottery products - the top is level, the bottom isn't
- in either plane. It's only a couple of mm out, but with a long
pipe, that adds up fast.

Wonder if I can get some 2" lead pipe and go fully retro like the bog
I grew up with...

Can you put
an offset in the downpipe to allow it to sit properly? Does the
downpipe have an offset than can be manouvered to allow the thing to
seat in better?

Well, There is some slop in the pipe to cistern joint - but it's
right on the limit.

It will probably take a huge bending spring to make an offset, but
easier if
you have access to a pile of sand? If you can get hold of enough dry
sand, seal the ends of the pipe after packing out the pipe tightly
with the sand
and try to go for a bend. If you try this method, make sure the
sand is packed really tightly in the whole length of pipe.

Or seek the help of your blacksmith with a large pipe bender to make
a sure off set in the pipe for you.

I like the sand idea (I have loads). Never thought of that. The pipe
has a swan neck double offset in it anyway - it would be a case of
unsetting one of those bends a couple of degrees.

I think just bringing the bottom of the cistern forward a bit to
re-align the angles might be easier - just wondered if it was the
done thing?

Cheers

Tim

It seems it is going to have to be the done thing in this case. But you can
hide a small block of timber at the back of the cistern, so it doesn't have
to be a full length batten sticking out at either side. I hope. It is just
to re-align the cistern to match the pipe, right?