Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Perspex adhesive

In article ,
Dave W writes:
On 12 Aug, 13:16, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
I have found Cyanoacrylate works well with perspex.
It appears to solvent weld it, as well as polymerising.
With care, you can bond two transparent pieces together
with the bond being invisible when you look through it,
and if you pull it apart, the perspex breaks before the
bond separates.

I was amazed at your claim. I haven't any superglue in the house, but
do have a bottle of Loctite SuperGlue3 remover dated 1994. I tried
this and it worked as you describe after an hour or so!

I guess the SuperGlue3 remover is just acetone.
As perspex dissolves in acetone, this is probably
simply a solvent weld you are producing.

Cyanoacrylate polymerises into an acrylic resin,
not dissimilar to perspex, so the mechanism
of the bond is different with Cyanoacrylate.
(Having read up some more, I suspect I was wrong
about Cyanoacrylate solvent welding perspex, as
it's not in a solvent. It forms a similar acrylic
polymer to perspex, and most likely is that the
polymer directly bonds to the perspex polymer
surface.)

--
Andrew Gabriel