Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Harrison Mike Harrison is offline

Default Extending ring main - joint method?

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 13:53:36 +0100, "Graham." wrote:

"NT" wrote in message
On Aug 12, 9:33 pm, Homer Simpson wrote:
I want to break into the ring main and add a couple of sockets but what
is the current best or the recommended method of jointing the cables - a
"traditional" junction box like thishttp://www.tlc-
direct.co.uk/Products/AAJB30.html or to use crimps and heatshrink? The
joints will just be under normal bedroom floorboards.

TIA

cut the cable, install 2 sockets, each cut end goes to one of them,
and add a linking bit of cable. Otherwise you can use a jbox or
crimps. Soldering's also allowed, but with that you should still use a
jbox to enclose it.

Can anyone point me to a recourse about soldering power cables?
I'm not planning doing any myself, but clearly it must involve
more than twisting the wires together and applying the lead-free
equivalent of 60/40.

No need for lead-free - leaded stuff is easier and lower temp to reduce melting of insulation.
Main think is to use an iron (not blowlamp!) that can pump enough heat into the joint quickly
enough.