Posted to uk.d-i-y
BigWallop[_2_] BigWallop[_2_] is offline

Default High level bog cistern

Tim S wrote:
I've never hung a cistern before. Got a high level jobbie for
hopefully a better flush.

The hanging went well - it's dangling on 2 M8 stainless studs chemical
mortared into the wall (bloody celcon blocks - I don't trust plugs
for such a heavy load). Not going to fall off. Ever.

However - the flush pipe drop isn't quite right and looks like it
needs the cistern packing out at the bottom by about 15-20mm and
about 10mm at the top.

This could be achieved by a piece of batten across the back and some
packers betwixt the cistern and the wall around the bolts.

I don't see an issue with this - but having never done one before, is
it normal to have to shove bits of packing behind cisterns to bring
them off the wall?

Cheers

Tim

The down pipe from the cistern should allow for cutting to the position of
the bowl. If the down pipe has been cut before, it may need lengthend on
the horizontal to match up with the pan in your new setting.

I was always asked, many years ago, when these were the normal flush loo's,
to replace the older cast pipes for new plastic pipe. The only way to do it
then, was to buy the length of pipe and a solvent weld natural bend. Not an
elbow. A swept bend. So when you're out buying the new pipe, ask the
merchant for a "90 degree Swept Bend" and a new rubber flush inlet gasket to
suit the size of the new pipework. (32mm or 40mm)