Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ridiculous FHA rules II

On Aug 12, 4:54*pm, rile wrote:
I've read all the responses to my previous post and thought I'd make
my original post a little clearer.
First, I might have misled by using the term FHA. *In fact, it's what
is called a Rural Development mortgage from the USDA. *The rules for
acceptance are written out in a handbook that can be found online.
One of the rules states that there can be no "chipped, peeling or
flaking paint" on the outside of any buildings and fences that were
built before 1978. *It has nothing to do with what is in the
contract.

I would say it could still have a lot to do with what was in your
contract. For example, if the contract said that if repairs
following inspections are more than $2000, you can cancel the deal,
then you have an out. You get a painter to give an estimate of
greater than $2000 to do an ultra job that satisfies the unreasonable
inspector.

On the other hand, if the contract says you gotta fix everything no
matter what, which is what someone appeared to be saying can happen
with an FHA, then you'd have a potentially big problem.

*The mortgage is dependant on the approval of the appraiser.
He now rejected it for a fourth time. *Why he did, we don't know.

First you said it was an FHA inspector, now you say it's the
appraiser? Are you sure you are getting ALL the information?
Regardless of who is doing the inspections, the inspectors client is
the mortgage company and the mortgage company's client is the buyer.
Any reports and info would go to them, but they may not be passing
everything on to you. The inspector has no direct obligation to
you. No inspector/appraiser can just say no with no explanation to
the parties who hired him.

Usually the contract will specify that inspection reports,
deficiencies, etc must be completed within X days and that those
reports spelling out any deficiencies must be delivered to you within
Y days thereafter. IF they aren't doing that, then you should have an
out, provided you had a contract that did a reasonable job of
protecting your interests.

*We
have nothing else we can do to the paint. *He doesn't return calls or
emails. *I have complained to the state office for Rural Development
and they are no help.
The buyers have decided to can the RD deal and get a conventional
mortgage.

And that sounds like the easiest solution to the problem.

*It is so screwed up because the buyers do not even want the
paint problem addressed. *They want to paint the house themselves.
I have contacted my rep. and senator about the thing and am waiting to
see their reaction

Given that these guys say they don't have time to read $1 trillion
spending bills, how much time you think their gonna spend on you?