Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller Gerald Miller is offline

Default Freehand grinding of Lathe bits

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 18:14:32 -0400, Wes wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

On their website -- the actual Drill Doctor website, not the distributor
website -- they say one wheel is good for around 200 drill bits. If they're
using diamond, that fits. That's not very long for a superabrasive wheel of
any kind.

Well that ruined any thought I had of buying a DD.

Thanks,

Wes

AFAIK I get much better mileage than that, but then, if there is much
material to be removed, ie. a broken 3/8" bit, I will grind it
freehand, also, once the cutting edge is ground, I quit rather than
grind un till the whole end view is freshly ground.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada