Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills Roger Mills is offline

Default Extending ring main - joint method?

Homer Simpson wrote:

I want to break into the ring main and add a couple of sockets but
what is the current best or the recommended method of jointing the
cables - a "traditional" junction box like this http://www.tlc-
direct.co.uk/Products/AAJB30.html or to use crimps and heatshrink? The
joints will just be under normal bedroom floorboards.

TIA

The official party line says that you should only use screwed connections -
such as the junction boxes which you reference - in places which are readily
accessible for maintenance, and that elsewhere (e.g. behind plaster) you
should use crimps or soldered joints.

Wiring under floorboards is somewhat moot. It's probably best to regard it
as 'inaccessible' and use crimps - but I've got a hell of a lot of junction
boxes under mine!
--
Cheers,
Roger