Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Garage Doors

On Aug 12, 8:58*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Aug 11, 3:26 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

In either case, a garage door that improves the (1) weather barrier
and/or (2) saves energy in the climate controlled cases, should be
just as eligible as the entry door or windows of the house itself.

Obviously, giving a tax credit for a door on an uninsulated garage
wouldn't make sense.

In my view, neither would an insulated garage door. Even if an
attached garage, what's the R value of 20 feet of dead air? Whatever
the insulation on the door might be, it's got to be negligible in
comparison.

Unless it's a completed sealed garage, with an air lock system between
the house and the garage, I seriously doubt it's dead air.

If the garage is NOT adequately sealed, then what the hell good is an
insulated door?

If the garage is insulated, but not "adequately sealed" between the
garage and the house, then an insulated door makes all the sense in
the world. The other option is a well sealed door and wall between the
house and the garage, which is also eligible for some credit. Granted,
getting the credit for _both_ would be ridiculous, unless the garage
is climate controlled as a separate space.

For example, let's say the door and wall between my garage and house
are not as well insulated as they should be. The wall between the
house and garage is finished on both sides, but the other three outer
walls of the garage are not. Let's further assume that the garage is
not climate controlled as a separate space, but merely through
"leakage" from the house. I have 2 options:

1 - Get a new entry door, open the finished wall and insulate it and
take whatever credit I get for doing that.
2 - Get an insulated garage door, insulate the 3 open garage walls and
take whatever credit I get for doing that.

In either case I've upgraded the envelope, so I should be eligible for
the credit.

If the garage IS sealed, insulating the door would be redundant.

Unless the space is climate controlled. If the garage is being heated
or cooled, then insulating the door would save energy and be worthy of
the credit.

Again, think about why a garage would be insulated. Either it's
climate controlled as a separate space or quasi-climate controlled
because of an inadequate seal to the house. In either case, insulating
the door would save energy.

I've seen donuts with more brains than some federal regulators.

Now, a tax credit for donuts would be nice g