Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Laptop hinge repair

Meat Plow wrote in message
On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 18:16:19 +0100, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

I'm astounded (almost) that the things last as long as they do with
the kind of force on them. I bought an Asus laptop back in 2004 that
still serves me. I've had it apart once to repair the DC barrel
connector after the solder broke due to poor design. There were no
less than 60 screws that needed to be removed to get to the main
board. But only 3 needed to be removed from the backside to get the
keyboard out mainly due to the #2 memory slot being under the keyboard
of all places.

If you look close on the bottom case you can see a couple little bumps
from me using the couple 1/4mm longer screws to fasten the chassis to
the bottom plastic

Didn't catch this until they were all back in and I wasn't going to
undo everything. Lucky it was MY laptop, I would have been horrified
to find this on a customer unit and would have been looking for a new
bottom.

I'm sure we've all experienced collateral damage.

Ignoring time wasted on this thread.
I'm not a structural engineer , but gut feeling, this repair could be
stronger than the original. 3/4 hour spent, so far, curing epoxy currently,
small cosmetic job to follow.
Original was 1x 2.5mm screw into a plastic boss on the display outer, boss
and small part of external case broke away.
2 x 1.5 mm holes drilled through the large remnant of the hinge anchor
plate, 2 nuts and bolts and washers holding a returned loop of expanded
aluminium of area about 15x35 mm epoxied through/around and over the scored
remnant Al and bridging onto drill-pock-marked original part of case and
into the reinforcing webs, not just flat plastic. When cured, then a skim of
hotmelt glue plus dystuff and thick ptfe tape for moulding a patch, to patch
the seen outside part of the display surround that broke away, owner knowing
full well there will be a cosmetic blemish and that my repair will be a
bodge job.

cf
I hate to think how much time and money involved with the "proper" repair.
Obtain correct replacement hinge and display outer casing.
Download "how to dismantle pc" read up how to disassemble , separate bins
for separate section screws etc, remake ribbon connections etc all without
collateral damage to a ribbon/ connector or something indeterminant.
Factor in chance of replacement wrong parts/ no parts arriving, perhaps
weeks later, probability of fatally dislodging something vital inside the
pc, reassemble lid/display outer.