Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos Harold and Susan Vordos is offline

Default Freehand grinding of Lathe bits

wrote in message
On Aug 10, 10:51 pm, rangerssuck wrote:

Yes, you will lose diamond, but define "rapidly." If I was running a
cutter sharpening service, I might be concerned. For the few dozen
tools a year that I will grind, I doubt it's much of an issue.

For a 6 inch wheel at 3450 rpm grinding dry, I would define rapidly as
less than 5 minutes to noticeably reduce the cutting speed.

Well, of course. I was really trying to suggest that it's easier to
get the angles you want by setting them up on the machine table than
it is to estimate, cut and measure. There's certainly no reason why
you couldn't do just as well by hand. Especially for those of us who
don't do this every day (or even every week).

I do not grind tool bits everyday or even every week, but I think it
is kind of like riding a bicycle. Not something that needs to be
relearned after not doing it.

Dan

In my years of grinding brazed carbide tools, I have inadvertently hit the
wheel with steel, not having relieved the tool enough. Trust me, if you
hit diamond with steel, the change is almost instantaneous. By the time
you have surfaced one tool, the wheel behaves as if it's greased, so greater
cutting pressure is required. It's really a good idea to avoid contact
with steel unless the wheel runs at a temperature well under a red heat.
Carbon burns at what, 1,100 degrees F? You'd certainly want to keep the
temperature below that (at the point of contact).

Harold