Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Roy L Roy L is offline

Default Laptop hinge repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

To the others in the thread , if I wanted to get hints on
(apparently ,
oftn
walletctomy) buying specific replacement stuff from e-bay or
how to

google
wouldn't be posting repair queries to sci.electronics.repair
which has

the
word repair in the title. Why do you think I deliberately did
not

mention
make and model?

Sometimes, my friend, you don't do yourself any favours. With an
arsy
attitude like that, you don't deserve to get help with your half
baked

bodge
repair projects. I offered you a solution based on the
activities of a
friend who is a proper professional at laptop repairs, that
would not

have
cost you a lot of money, otherwise he wouldn't be doing it, as
he makes

proper living at it, and I wouldn't have suggested it to you,
knowing

your
penchant for fixing everything with some **** dissolved in
epoxy, and

some
obscure material not intended for the job. So go ahead, and
waste forty
quidsworth of your time, on a bodged repair that won't last five

minutes.
Sheesh.

Arfa

Oh well said that man -

Ron

If I replaced the whole hinge, I'd have to find out how to take the
laptop
apart to get to the other part of the hinge, C-clip or whatever is
buried
inside. Anyone's guess what chance of colateral damage just doing
that.
Obtain a part, without being ripped off and having the correct one
supplied.
Whereas all I've to do is find a way of building up the lost few
square mm
of aluminium of the hinge anchor plate and make good some of the
broken away
and missing plastic of the display surround/lid. All nicely exposed
and easy
to work on. Why go to all that bother if a bit of epoxy and some Al
mesh/
minimal hardware/drilling is all that's required. The hinge mount
failed in
quite normal use , so direct replacement likely to do the same.

Because, when you are doing work for people who are good enough to
entrust their repairs to you, it's about both appearing to be, and
*actually being* professional about the way you tackle the job. I
wonder how you would feel about a garage that fixed your clutch
cable by joining it with an electrical junction block, rather than
replacing it, because the bodge was cheaper and easier to do ?

Honestly, I don't know how you manage to make a living judging by
some of the threads you post on here. Yes, you are right that the
title of this group includes the word "repair", but I can't believe
how literally you seem to take that. Repairing often involves
fitting new genuine replacement parts, and especially it does when
you are doing the work commercially ...

Arfa

I have often thought the same Arfa - perhaps Mr Cook really would be
more suited to a group called sci.electronics.remanufacture. The
efforts that he goes to to "repair" stuff is jaw-dropping! I can
understand the satisfaction gained in getting something up and running
that is deemed commercially "unrepairable", but he does seem to go to
extremes and I doubt that he has ever really costed his time into the
jobs he does. In my past experience of such jobs when I have carried
them out in order to do the customer a favour they are rarely
appreciative - whats worse, if a "bodge" subsequently fails, no matter
how far down the line, your reputation will suffer. As for
"improvements" to the original spec......nuff said.

Roy