Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar nightjar is offline

Default Can I swivel this? (soil pipes)

"Pete Verdon" d wrote in
message ...
nightjar cpb@ wrote:
"Pete Verdon" d wrote

http://pverdon.csoft.net/stuff/DSCN3581.JPG
http://pverdon.csoft.net/stuff/DSCN3582.JPG

It looks like solvent weld pipe. If so, the answer is no.

I wasn't really aware that solvent-weld soil pipe existed, however having
looked at eg
http://www.floplast.co.uk/pages.asp?...5341&catid=282 I have to
agree with you. Arse.

If anything, solvent weld is more common in the larger sizes, by which I
mean up to 12 inch bore. It is cheaper and, if done properly, more reliable.

You need to cut the pipe below the branch, fit a new section of pipe and
fit your branch to that.

How would you suggest fitting to the cut end of the existing pipe? I'm
looking at page 130 of the BES catalogue and don't see anything suitable.
All the soil stuff I've see before has been based on socketed pipe with
the socket at the top end for things to fit neatly into.

I would probably go for cuitting well clear, fitting a double socket, then a
piece of plain pipe and putting whetever fittings I want on the top end of
that.

I guess one could fit part number 13000 (short boss pipe,
http://www.bes.co.uk/products/130a.asp ) to the cut-off top of the
existing pipe. In fact, that could plausibly be in a location where I was
planning to fit a strap-on boss anyway. But the top of it is then female
solvent-weld, which doesn't necessarily get me where I need to be. Can the
branches etc meant for ring-seal have their plain ends solvent-welded into
something like that?

Provided they are the right material to solvent weld, it should make a
better job of it.

How about this item from Wickes:
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Single-Socke...or/invt/431967 ?
Looks like it solvent-welds inside (based on the ridge halfway along)
plain pipe and from then on we're back to ring seals. That below and a
ring-seal slip coupling above?

From the description, that looks like a solvent weld to push-fit adaptor,
but I could be wrong.

I normally buy my fittings from these people. They are knowledgable and
usually very helpful, so a phone call wouldn't hurt.

http://www.linwall.co.uk/

Colin Bignell