Posted to alt.home.repair
David Combs David Combs is offline

Default Craftsman Commercial - Drilling In Reverse?

In article ,
stan wrote:
On Jul 13, 10:49*am, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
I was watching Ice Road Truckers last night, which is sponsored by
Craftsman, so they kept running this commercial for one of their
cordless tool lines.

They show one clip where the guy is drilling into a piece of wood
attached to a tree - steps to a tree house maybe - with a wood boring
bit. Maybe it was an optical illusion, but I'd swear the drill is
running backwards - *counter clockwise. I rewound my DVR a bunch of
times, and ran it it slow motion. It sure looked to me like the bottom
of the bit was coming up and the 3/8" marking was going away from, not
coming towards the viewer.

Has anybody else seen this?

Did you consider the fact that the guy is an actor.
The drill may actually be turning backwards because
the actors and directors don't have a clue. I know,
I'm being fecesious (sic).

TDD

Yup facetious. Happens often with films and TV because the picture we
see is actually some 25 to 30 snapshots (or frames) per second.
For example, with TV, older TV anyway not necessarily digital and HD,
it it is presented to us so that alternate lines are scanned and
viewed first each frame and then during the same frame it goes back
and does the intervening lines.
In fact any thing rotating may appear to be either going forwards or
backwards. Doesn't mean a thing.
But maybe the hole had been drilled by the fifth take and they are now
on their 15th and the actor is basically instructed to "Here; hold
this and pretend you are drilling. And oh, by the way look happy about

NOW we're talkin!

David