Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pete Verdon Pete Verdon is offline

Default Can I swivel this? (soil pipes)

nightjar cpb@ wrote:
"Pete Verdon" d wrote

http://pverdon.csoft.net/stuff/DSCN3581.JPG
http://pverdon.csoft.net/stuff/DSCN3582.JPG

It looks like solvent weld pipe. If so, the answer is no.

I wasn't really aware that solvent-weld soil pipe existed, however
having looked at eg
http://www.floplast.co.uk/pages.asp?...5341&catid=282 I have to
agree with you. Arse.

You need to cut the pipe below the
branch, fit a new section of pipe and fit your branch to that.

How would you suggest fitting to the cut end of the existing pipe? I'm
looking at page 130 of the BES catalogue and don't see anything
suitable. All the soil stuff I've see before has been based on socketed
pipe with the socket at the top end for things to fit neatly into.

I guess one could fit part number 13000 (short boss pipe,
http://www.bes.co.uk/products/130a.asp ) to the cut-off top of the
existing pipe. In fact, that could plausibly be in a location where I
was planning to fit a strap-on boss anyway. But the top of it is then
female solvent-weld, which doesn't necessarily get me where I need to
be. Can the branches etc meant for ring-seal have their plain ends
solvent-welded into something like that?

How about this item from Wickes:
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Single-Socke...or/invt/431967 ?
Looks like it solvent-welds inside (based on the ridge halfway along)
plain pipe and from then on we're back to ring seals. That below and a
ring-seal slip coupling above?

You may be able to reuse the pipe above, by cutting it immediately above
the branch and dropping it into the top of the new one.

I pretty much have to reuse the pipe above, as I can't get onto the roof
to fit a new one. My plan is to clamp it rigidly in place above the area
of operations and use a slip coupling to join back onto it when
everything else is done.

I would revise the bathroom layout.

Not really an option, given the shape. The current shower is small and,
due to being at the end of a long, horizontal, probably sludged-up waste
pipe, needs plungering most mornings to avoid overflowing the tray. The
new shower plan fixes all that (right next to the stack, plenty of room)
but to do so requires moving the toilet.

Pete