Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Laptop hinge repair

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 11:15:36 +0100, "N_Cook"
wrote:

If I replaced the whole hinge, I'd have to find out how to take the laptop
apart to get to the other part of the hinge, C-clip or whatever is buried
inside.

Hinge assemblies are separate components and totally separate from the
internal frame. If you had ever replaced a laptop hinge, you would
know that. There is usually a removable plastic strip just above the
keyboard that covers the some of the lower end screws. Additional
screws are sometimes found on the bottom of the laptop, and on the
rear panel. Remove these and the LCD display can be separated from
the laptop base, with the hinges still attached. In most cases, you
will need to disassemble the LCD frame in order to gain access to the
remaining screws. There is no C-clip unless you're planning to
dissemble the hinge assembly itself. Example:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/antennas/laptops/slides/compaq-2120us.html
This was meant to show the really awful location of a wi-fi antenna,
but shows the hinge construction quite clearly.

Anyone's guess what chance of colateral damage just doing that.

That depends on your experience level. I will admit to having
destroyed a few laptops trying to disassemble them without proper
instructions. More commonly, I get the screws mixed up. When
re-assembled, the longer screws can do some real damage. If you've
never done this before, there are disassembly diagrams in some of the
service documentation online, or on various web sites.
http://repair4laptop.org/notebook.html
To prevent disaster, I take photos as I go along and am very careful
with organizing the screws:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/HP-laptop/index.html

Obtain a part, without being ripped off and having the correct one supplied.

I sometimes buy the wrong part. It happens. When I'm not sure and
the part is cheap, I buy several from different vendors. I like to
buy pairs of parts, especially on pullouts, so that if one is dead,
the other might work.

Whereas all I've to do is find a way of building up the lost few square mm
of aluminium of the hinge anchor plate and make good some of the broken away
and missing plastic of the display surround/lid.

No. All you have to do is gain the expertise and experience necessary
to do this properly. It took me several tries to get it right,
resulting in mixing my own formulation because I couldn't find
anything that worked. What's your time worth?

All nicely exposed and easy
to work on.

If it were easy, you wouldn't be asking.

Why go to all that bother if a bit of epoxy and some Al mesh/
minimal hardware/drilling is all that's required. The hinge mount failed in
quite normal use , so direct replacement likely to do the same.

The hinge failed because the screws became loose. They became loose
because there was insufficient thread surface area, too small a screw,
no Loctite, excessive vibration, weak base metal, or a failed previous
repair. When someone brings me a laptop, the first thing I check is
the hinge. If it's loose, they can count on an extra 30 minutes of
labor to fix it.

However, I do like your fatalistic attitude. I should point out that
it also applies to all repairs. Why bother when it might happen
again? Just throw it out and get a new laptop.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D