Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JB[_5_] JB[_5_] is offline

Default Laptop hinge repair

If I replaced the whole hinge, I'd have to find out how to take the
laptop
apart to get to the other part of the hinge, C-clip or whatever is buried
inside. Anyone's guess what chance of colateral damage just doing that.
Obtain a part, without being ripped off and having the correct one

supplied.

These are the things you have to know better than the average bear.

Whereas all I've to do is find a way of building up the lost few square

mm
of aluminium of the hinge anchor plate and make good some of the broken

away
and missing plastic of the display surround/lid. All nicely exposed and

easy
to work on. Why go to all that bother if a bit of epoxy and some Al mesh/
minimal hardware/drilling is all that's required. The hinge mount failed

in
quite normal use , so direct replacement likely to do the same.

So if an actual replacement is expected to fail in the same fashion
what makes you think you can make a stronger repair? Sure this is
possible but having intimate knowledge of laptop repair and the
structure and stresses imposed I think you'll find out in the end you
are wasting time. And while that in its self isn't a real horrible
thing to do if it interferes with your credibility on a shoddy
solution was it worth it?

You can usually find disassembly instructtion for laptops online so
really no excuse not to splay it out and do a proper repair.

Unless you are incompetent.