Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Laptop hinge repair

To the others in the thread , if I wanted to get hints on (apparently
,
oftn
walletctomy) buying specific replacement stuff from e-bay or how to

google
wouldn't be posting repair queries to sci.electronics.repair which has

the
word repair in the title. Why do you think I deliberately did not

mention
make and model?

Sometimes, my friend, you don't do yourself any favours. With an arsy
attitude like that, you don't deserve to get help with your half baked

bodge
repair projects. I offered you a solution based on the activities of a
friend who is a proper professional at laptop repairs, that would not

have
cost you a lot of money, otherwise he wouldn't be doing it, as he makes

proper living at it, and I wouldn't have suggested it to you, knowing

your
penchant for fixing everything with some **** dissolved in epoxy, and

some
obscure material not intended for the job. So go ahead, and waste forty
quidsworth of your time, on a bodged repair that won't last five

minutes.
Sheesh.

Arfa

Oh well said that man -

Ron

If I replaced the whole hinge, I'd have to find out how to take the laptop
apart to get to the other part of the hinge, C-clip or whatever is buried
inside. Anyone's guess what chance of colateral damage just doing that.
Obtain a part, without being ripped off and having the correct one
supplied.
Whereas all I've to do is find a way of building up the lost few square mm
of aluminium of the hinge anchor plate and make good some of the broken
away
and missing plastic of the display surround/lid. All nicely exposed and
easy
to work on. Why go to all that bother if a bit of epoxy and some Al mesh/
minimal hardware/drilling is all that's required. The hinge mount failed
in
quite normal use , so direct replacement likely to do the same.

Because, when you are doing work for people who are good enough to entrust
their repairs to you, it's about both appearing to be, and *actually being*
professional about the way you tackle the job. I wonder how you would feel
about a garage that fixed your clutch cable by joining it with an electrical
junction block, rather than replacing it, because the bodge was cheaper and
easier to do ?

Honestly, I don't know how you manage to make a living judging by some of
the threads you post on here. Yes, you are right that the title of this
group includes the word "repair", but I can't believe how literally you seem
to take that. Repairing often involves fitting new genuine replacement
parts, and especially it does when you are doing the work commercially ...

Arfa

Arfa