Posted to demon.tech.pc,sci.electronics.repair
jasee jasee is offline

Default solder pot solder

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
Solder used for solder pots typically wouldn't have flux in it, but
otherwise, it's the same alloy as common wire solders.

If you can find a spool/roll of solid wire solder, you can melt that in a
solder pot with the same results.
You can feed solid wire solder (not acid or rosin core) into your solder
pot, and apply a suitable amount of liquid rosin flux to the ends of the
wires before dipping them.

Rosin core solder would also work, but you would need to skim the flux off
the top of the molten solder (flat hardwood stick similar to a tongue
depressor) to minimize smoking of the hot rosin.
You would still want to flux the wire ends properly.

You should probably do the initial melt outdoors if you use rosin core
solder because the smoke may be a problem.

I'm guessing that a half-pound (8 oz) spool of solder would approximate
the 1 cu in supply you referenced, although that's a very low volume for a
standard solder pot.

Sorry for the late reply, thanks all for the advice, I've got plumbers old
lead/tin and new type solders, from what's been said, I think I'll try
lead/tin first. Someone off list mentioned using meths to burn the
insulation of the wire but I think it's too thin for that.
Thanks everyone.