Posted to alt.home.repair
blueman blueman is offline

Default Hear water meter 'clicking' throughout the pipes when in-ground sprinkler running

When our in-ground sprinkler is running outside, I can hear the water
meter 'clicking' through all the pipes -- including as far away as our
3rd floor bathroom. All the pipes are secured properly using clamps
and we never hear any other water hammering or vibration noises. The
clicking definitely comes from the water meter itself and sounds like
a metronome beating at at 4-5 beats/second. The pipes themselves are
not detectably physically vibrating (though the sound from the water
meter is obviously transmitted through them).

The irrigation system is high volume in the sense that the supply
lines are 1" copper followed by 1" plastic irrigation piping that feed
3-5 Hunter rotors per zone. I assume other high flow applications
would set the water meter vibrating similarly. Our water pressure is
on the high side (about 80 psi) but that is supposedly normal for our
area.

- Is this "normal" for a water meter?
- Could this be affecting the metering? (either positively or negatively)
- Any ideas?