Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Laptop hinge repair

Jeff Liebermann wrote in
news
On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 17:49:27 GMT, alchazz wrote:

Try this:
http://www.freemansupply.com/Freeman801Aluminum.htm
or a similar product.
It's worked for me.
Al

Good idea. Have you tried to drill and thread it? The muffler repair
epoxy I tried cracked, but my home made version worked.

Most epoxies you find at outlets like Lowes and Home Depot or auto stores
are lousy. They're just general purpose glues,and of limited use.

I found this putty epoxy compound with Google:
http://www.cotronics.com/vo/cotr/rm_putties.htm
The main advantage is that it's allegedly machinable, which means it
has plenty of aluminum and less epoxy. Maybe add some fiberglass
matting to the mix for strength.

Or chopped glass or plastic fibers.

All this to save a few dollars for new hinge.

Yeah...

some folks just like to salvage everything....

I used boat-building epoxy and fillers to fix the spring clamp on an $8
electric fan.JB weld failed,but the boat epoxy with silica filler and glass
cloth reinforcements is still holding.

BTW,did you know it takes a few -weeks- for epoxies to gain their full
strength?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik