Posted to alt.home.repair
BetaB4[_6_] BetaB4[_6_] is offline

Default One circuit went out

I don't think you ever said where the non-working outlets are located. For
example, are some or all of them located in or near a kitchen, bathroom, or
laundry room?

Did you look to see if any of them look like the picture that HeyBub
provided through the link at: http://www.howstuffworks.com/question117.htm ?

Did you check ALL of the other outlets and lights (other than the 4
non-working ones) with the circuit breaker off to see if anything else goes
off when the circuit breaker is off?

Since you are a "greenie" (in your words), and seem to be very unsure about
doing any electrical work on your own, it may not be a good idea for you to
open up the electrical panel box. But, if you know someone who is
comfortable doing that, maybe he/she could open the box, take out the
"Problem" breaker, and then replace it with one of the onther breakers in
the box. If that fixes the problem, you may just have a bad circuit
breaker.

Higgs Boson wrote:
At least I think that's what happened.

Several outlets stopped working. I flipped the relevant switch on the
breaker box
but it didn't help.

This is the first time I've confronted such a problem. Any
explanation of why
a given circuit would just poop out? Inquiring minds...

I haven't called an electrician yet, being very low in the $$, so have
made
adjustments using other outlets (Yes, I'm being careful and No, I'm
not overloading.)

The dead circuit includes 4 outlets.

Any estimate what such a repair might cost, based on So. Calif prices?

TIA

Hypatia