Posted to alt.home.repair
Higgs Boson[_2_] Higgs Boson[_2_] is offline

Default One circuit went out

On Aug 8, 5:06*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
HiggsBosonwrote:
At least I think that's what happened.

Several outlets stopped working. *I flipped the relevant switch on the
breaker box
but it didn't help.

This is the first time I've confronted such a problem. *Any
explanation of why
a given circuit would just poop out? *Inquiring minds...

I haven't called an electrician yet, being very low in the $$, so have
made
adjustments using other outlets (Yes, I'm being careful and No, I'm
not overloading.)

The dead circuit includes 4 outlets.

Any estimate what such a repair might cost, based on So. Calif prices?

TIA

Hypatia

This is a common situation and is easy to fix if your hand fits a
screwdriver.

In addition to the other observations, this is most often caused by
"push-in" or "stab" connectors on the outlets. These are the kind where a
stripped wire is pushed into a hole on the back of the outlet and is grabbed
by spring-type internal contacts. This type of connection is most often used
by installers who want to save time, but this type of connection is also
most troublesome (compared to screw-down connections).

Anyway, the bad stab-in connection most likely exists at the last good
outlet in the chain or the first bad outlet.

The fix is simple: Remove the wires from the push-in contact holes and move
them to the screw-down connections on the side.

Getting the wires OUT of the push-in holes requires an itty-bitty
screwdriver (or similar) to stick in a slot next to the hole. This action
loosen the internal wire-grabber thingy.

The whole thing is really pretty easy (a 3 on a 1-to-10 scale). If you need
any more help, don't hesitate to ask.

P.S.
My neighbor had exactly the same thing happen four years ago. ARS charged
her $80 for a service call and no parts.

P.P.S.
If you're uncomfortable fiddling with electricity, there should be a
handyman neighbor that would be glad to fix it in return for a plate of
cookies or a six-pack.

Uncomfortable? Yeah...I am still embarrassed over an outlet
I thought I fixed properly (followed directions exactly on paper
enclosed),
but it gave trouble every time somebody pushed their bed against plug
in that outlet. Finally had to call electrician to fix it. He said I
made an unsafe
installation. Couldn't argue with him, though I repeated that I
followed directions exactly. So no, not eager to tackle what sounds
like a more complex problem, involving 4 outlets on same circuit.

I kinda doubt if the problem is a "push-in" outlet.
This circuit has been quietly operating for literally
decades, giving no trouble at all.