Posted to alt.home.repair
windcrest windcrest is offline

Default RJ45 & RJ11 module plugs

On Aug 9, 11:06*pm, windcrest wrote:
On Aug 8, 9:48*pm, "

wrote:
I am doing some remolding and I ran some wiring. *Since I had a bunch
of cat5 cable I ran it to use for phone wire. *I went to the big box
store to get some module plugs for the phone and all they sold was
RJ45 plugs and they say they works for both RJ45 & RJ11. * The wiring
diagram that came with the module plugs only show to wire it up one
way using all 8 wires. *The question I have is do I wire the phone
plug up with all 8 wires just like the RJ45 plug?

Sure wire up all 8 (I usually use the B wiring).

To not confuse people you could get those little plastic inserts that
convert an RJ45 to RJ11, but the RJ45's work just fine and its nice
having the extra pairs in the wall for multiple lines or even running
back infrared sensors, etc. *Those plastic inserts just block off the
full width jack to that of a RJ6, they only cost a few cents each.

These things:

http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=8125