Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Laptop hinge repair

"N_Cook" wrote in
:

Jim Yanik wrote in message
"N_Cook" wrote in
:

Thanks for some interesting ideas. I was thinking of using some
expanded aluminium, anchored into the aluminium, with a fresh
drilled small hole or two and small nut/bolts. To give a scaffold
for epoxy to anchor onto. Also underscore the plastic to give a bit
of key. What is the function of aluminium dust in epoxy, other than
a colourant?

it's a FILLER or thickener,gives bulk to the epoxy.

I use a thin,boat-building epoxy,and several kinds of fillers such as

fumed
silica,wood flour,phenolic micro-balloons,and chopped glass or
plastic fibers. It's very versatile. fumed silica makes a very hard
epoxy,fibers add strength.

for a good read on epoxy,http://www.systemthree.com,you can download
their Epoxy Book for free. Lots of useful info on using epoxies.

BTW,metal or plastic window screening also makes a good
reinforcement/"scaffold" for epoxy.

Best to rough up the plastic surface before gluing.I even drill holes
for the epoxy to flow into,for additional adhesion.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

A lot of various-directioned and angled , stopped, small drill holes
is probably easier and more effective than what I was going to try.

too small a hole,and all you have is a epoxy shear pin... 8-)

I don't believe angling the holes will make that much difference.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik