Posted to sci.electronics.repair
AZ Nomad[_2_] AZ Nomad[_2_] is offline

Default Laptop hinge repair

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 15:32:40 +0100, N_Cook wrote:
Jim Yanik wrote in message
.. .
"N_Cook" wrote in
:

Jeff Liebermann wrote in message
On Sun, 9 Aug 2009 22:36:54 +0100, "N_Cook"
wrote:

Any general tips on how to make a structural repair to the broken
and missing Aluminium extension from the friction pintle mount to
where it
joins
the plastic of the LCD surround ?

No, I haven't the slightest idea, especially since you didn't bother
supplying the manufacturer and model number.

If you're missing parts, you can find just about anything from
various online computer salvage operators. Also on eBay. Be
prepared to overpay. The few surviving repair shops that actually do
their own repair usually have a fair collection of scrap parts laying
around. Ask, and you might receive.

Fractured at the screw point so only half
the screw hole remains , a highly stressed point, going by the
amount of force required to turn this pintle rod.

I've used hili-coil inserts to fix those. Also threaded brass
inserts commonly used in plastic molding. Drill it out and epoxy the
insert inplace. The smallest you can get is 4-40 which is a
tolerable substitue for the common 3mm metric screw. I've also mixed
aluminum dust with epoxy and built up the broken part sufficiently to
thread the hole. It worked, but the owner had to be very careful
when opening the hinge. It lasted about 3 years, which isn't too
horrible. All these methods were a PITA and far too much work. If it
ever happens again, I'll just epoxy the hinge to the base metal and
be done with it.

You might want to look at hints at:
http://repair4laptop.org
This looks close:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=86297

Incidentally, such breakage usually happens because the screw wiggles
loose. I recommend Loctite on enything threaded into aluminum.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

Thanks for some interesting ideas. I was thinking of using some
expanded aluminium, anchored into the aluminium, with a fresh drilled
small hole or two and small nut/bolts. To give a scaffold for epoxy to
anchor onto. Also underscore the plastic to give a bit of key. What is
the function of aluminium dust in epoxy, other than a colourant?

it's a FILLER or thickener,gives bulk to the epoxy.

I use a thin,boat-building epoxy,and several kinds of fillers such as

fumed
silica,wood flour,phenolic micro-balloons,and chopped glass or plastic
fibers. It's very versatile. fumed silica makes a very hard epoxy,fibers
add strength.

for a good read on epoxy,http://www.systemthree.com,you can download their
Epoxy Book for free. Lots of useful info on using epoxies.

BTW,metal or plastic window screening also makes a good
reinforcement/"scaffold" for epoxy.

Best to rough up the plastic surface before gluing.I even drill holes for
the epoxy to flow into,for additional adhesion.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

A lot of various-directioned and angled , stopped, small drill holes is
probably easier and more effective than what I was going to try.

Yeah, but those door hinges would have looked cool, especially with #12
hardware.