Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bolted[_3_] Bolted[_3_] is offline

Default Router - and rebating

On 10 Aug, 11:22, Tim S wrote:
Bolted coughed up some electrons that declared:

Hi - ta for this:

You would need to clamp it just as well, if not better, using a
router.

Indeed - but I *could* route the bits upto but not including the clamps,
then reclamp on the rebated bit and route the remaining bits. Can't do that
with a plane.

At least I'd be clamping down through the square section as many times as
needed so it should be secure.

This is not going to be much fun with a handheld router, much better
off with a table. *To get the job done, it doesn't need to be anything
complex. *A bit of ply or whatever as the top, a bit of wood as a
fence held with a couple of cramps.

That is an option I'd considered (for later in lieu of a "proper" table).

Do I need any of those "router insert" thingies I've read about or can I
just screw the router under a bit of 18mm ply with a hole for the collet
and do the rest as you suggest?

Sorry - never used (or seen) and router in action before...

Or, cut some 5mm thick strips of whatever wood it is and build out the
frame instead.

It's nice wood and it's getting a bit expensive to keep going down the yard
(even though I'm getting a fair price on what I'm buying, it's not cheap)..

I *definately* need a router (kitchen worktops for one) so it might as well
see some use now, is my thinking

Cheers

Tim

You don't need an insert for a 'get you home' type job.

Here's an example of a (very slightly elaborated) simple table
http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip040700wb.html