Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bolted[_3_] Bolted[_3_] is offline

Default Router - and rebating

On 10 Aug, 10:41, Tim S wrote:
Cicero wibbled:

I think you could do this job more easily with a planer - either hand-held
or bench. You could set a side stop on a bench planer for 50mm and get the
necessary depth in one or more passes. You could do much the same with a
hand planer provided that you can adequately support the architrave to be
planed.

None of the above applies if you're determined to buy a router which would
not be a bad idea in any case. A small bench planer is well-worth having
for general use whatever you decide.

Cic.

That's an option... I have an electric hand planer - but I've never tried
using it to cut rebates. It might be difficult to clamp the piece down to
get a single pass with a plane as it's tapered wood (and I'd need to
G-clamp it on the taper) which is why a router came to mind - I could do
that in two sessions, moving the clamps.

Cheers

Tim

You would need to clamp it just as well, if not better, using a
router.

This is not going to be much fun with a handheld router, much better
off with a table. To get the job done, it doesn't need to be anything
complex. A bit of ply or whatever as the top, a bit of wood as a
fence held with a couple of cramps.

Or, cut some 5mm thick strips of whatever wood it is and build out the
frame instead.