Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero Cicero is offline

Default Router - and rebating

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 09:55:37 +0100, Tim S wrote:

I've asked questions before about routers and had some very useful

This is a rather specific question:

I need to rebate a load of architrave so it sits cleanly over the plaster
which is higher in places than the door frame, and also sits tight to the
door frame. I can caulk between the architrave and wall but not between
the architrave and the frame as the wood's on show. Need to rebate between
2-5mm or so over about a 40-50mm width (sounds like several passes).

Would a job like this demand a router table or is it a case of clamping
the wood down to a bench and using the router in hand held mode with its
own fence guiding it along the wood.

Architrave is 2.1m max by 70mm wide by 15mm thick (or less - it's
chamfered).

I ask, because I can choose a decent router fairly easily but choosing a
table is something I'd rather put off for a bit

I'm probably going for a lower end Trend. This will be the first of many
jobs.

Cheers

Tim

I think you could do this job more easily with a planer - either hand-held
or bench. You could set a side stop on a bench planer for 50mm and get the
necessary depth in one or more passes. You could do much the same with a
hand planer provided that you can adequately support the architrave to be
planed.

None of the above applies if you're determined to buy a router which would
not be a bad idea in any case. A small bench planer is well-worth having
for general use whatever you decide.

Cic.

Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door