Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matty F Matty F is offline

Default Keeping the power off

On Aug 10, 2:11 pm, "Clive George" wrote:
"Matty F" wrote in message

On Aug 10, 12:42 pm, "Clive George" wrote:

Changing the padlock when the electrician is about will mean people
have
to think about why they can't get into the box, which means they will
get
to read the sign. Also, make your sign more obvious : "Electrician
working, do not touch" is better than just "Leave off".

The old sign said a bit more than that. I've made a new one that's
12"x8" and double sided.

The sign would stop pretty much anybody getting the bolt croppers.

I want to be 100% certain. Padlocks have been cut off frequently
elsewhere. The people concerned do not necessarily have a high IQ.

This is a bit scary. Where are these padlocks chopped off frequently, and
why?

None of the chopped padlocks has involved such danger, except to allow
unauthorised people access to areas where they should not be.

Also, who has keys to the padlock? You ought to be able to contact
them -
do so. If you can't, time to revisit your systems.

Sure we can contact them. How do we make them be observant and follow
the rules?

Depends on what relationship you have with them. If it's employee, it's
"you're fired if you break these rules". If they don't understand that, it's
"you're fired for being too dangerous".

Forgot to add - if this is at a place of work (implied by "sack a
moron"),
boltchoppers on that padlock = H+S breach = bollocking/sacking. If you've
got staff who will consider doing that, you need to seriously clamp down
on
them.

Too late after someone has died. It might be me that's dead. I am
really ****ed off.

Well, yeah, I can see that. But if it's a place of work, "how do we make
them be observant and follow the rules" is important. If you've seriously
got staff who will crop a padlock on a well-signed electrical installation,
and you can't train them not to, you need to fire them. This is HSE-type
stuff - they'll get heavy on you if you don't get heavy on staff for this
sort of basic thing.

It's management that are chopping the padlocks. Not much I can do
about that.