Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hotpoint Fridge-freezer fault

On Sun, 09 Aug 2009 07:46:35 +0100, David J wrote:

By 'misleading', I was referring to the control panel that has 2
discrete temperature-setting controls - one for the fridge and one for
the freezer.

And then to discover that the freezer temperature actually relies on
the fridge door being opened regularly, is misleading, wouldn't you
agree?

A further expansion on frost free designs has been posted; moving
flaps, more to go wrong... Our fridge/freezer (also a Hotpoint) has
two compressors, dual controls and displays but isn't frost free.

Regarding 'topping up' the refrigerant, I can see no obvious access
point that isn't soldered. As the stuff is flammable, do you know how
they get the refill in?

It's quite a process these days, with having to reclaim the
refridgerant (though I would have thought that only applies to
devices using CFCs not butane). Refridgeration enginneers have the
self cutting clamps to put around the pipes, the vacum pump to empty
the system and check for leaks. IIRC they refill via the short stubby
pipe on the compressor, crimp then brase the end of that once the
correct amount of refridgerant has been drawn in.

--
Cheers
Dave.