Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Skil Digital Angle Finder: huge mistake!

In article , "dadiOH" wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "dadiOH"
wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "dadiOH"
wrote:

OK, suppose it did. Suppose you have a 150 degree corner and you
want to cut miters for it. The device tells you to set up a 75
degree cut. How do you propose setting that up?

That's easy: set the miter gauge at (90 - 75) = 15.

Right. Please note that is what the gizmo under discussion
does...tells you to set as you said.

No, it's not. As described in the original post, that is what the
gizmo under discussion does _for obtuse angles only_; for acute
angles, it reads the
actual angle, not the necessary gauge setting to cut that angle.[*]

As you quote, if the angle is 89 the reading is 44.5...that's an acute angle
and it tells you to set the gauge at 44.5. Seems right to me.

I guess that's why we disagree: because you don't realize that while that
*seems* right to you, it's *not*.

Suppose you want to cut a right angle (90 degrees). What do you set the miter
gauge at? Zero.

That's because miter gauges do not indicate the actual angle being cut; they
indicate the angle's offset from 90 degrees. So to cut an angle of 44.5
degrees, you set the gauge at (90 - 44.5) = 45.5 degrees.

In any event, it should be clear that if the device reads 44.5 for *both*
89-degree and 91-degree corners, then one or the other of those readings
*must* be wrong.
_________

And *that*, my friend, is why it's a useless POS. To make use of it, you must
remember (a) that whether the reading represents the gauge setting or the
actual miter angle depends on whether the corner angle is acute or
obtuse, *and* (b) which way is which. It's much less effort, and much less
error-prone, to simply measure the angle with a protractor and do the
calculations.

There is hope for MIKE, none for you...

Needless to say, I disagree. It's clear that you have a fundamental
misunderstanding of the geometry involved.

[* Quoted from the original post: "... If the angle of the corner is 89
degrees, the miter reading displays 44.5 degrees. But if the angle of the
corner is 91 degrees, the miter reading also displays 44.5 degrees. ..."]

Do you maintain that both of these readings are correct?