Ray Kinzler

Default Building Kitchen Cabinets

The Kraftmaid catalog is a really neat idea. We have walked through
the kitchen area in our local stores and I have shaken my head for
years at their ware.

I already ordered John Paquay's book--yesterday. Heck, I even had the
pipe dream that it may be in the mail when I got home! I have also
been out to his site and read a bunch of stuff several different
times. I tried out his suggestions in the "How to achieve an
incredible hand-rubbed oil finish." link and got an old cherry dresser
to come out smoother than a piece of glass. I must touch part of that
durn thing 10 times a day. It's just a shame that others don't
appreciate that and I have no idea why. Everybody in my life looks at
it, touches it, makes a face, and says, "Yeah. That is smooth, huh?"
Yoi!!!

I think I am going to more-or-less limited, however, in how the
kitchen will end up looking. I may be able to do some things like
make the top and bottom cabinet openings on a 45-degree angle (if you
know what I mean). I may be able to make the wall units either be
somewhat higher or put smallish one above. There is opportunuity to
put two new ones over the fridge, like I said. And the old dresser I
was talking about is being used "temporarily" (for 14 years) as a
microwave cart. It is great for storage but it is not deep enough.
It fits the entire width of the wall between the entry way and the
corner but there needs to be cabinets there. Also above it. I see
the opportunity to add two small cabinets, two or three floor cabinets
to replace the dresser, and two or three wall units above them. Other
than that, I am guessing I can simply measure what I already have. My
wife likes the combination of drawers and cabinets. I may see fit to
add another set of drawers someplace when replacing the dresser.

All in all, the Kraftmaid catalog will come in real handy. As will a
before and after visit to the Borg. A little cheating with their
kitchen designers. And a LOT of time.

My guess is that there will be more than enough suggestions in the
book I ordered as well as the others mentioned that I will know what
to use on the inside. But I think I have another question. Should I
use that, what's it called, melemaine or somehting like that? How
does it hold screws? I would be afraid that it would be very easy to
strip the hole. Would it maybe be a decent idea to use 3/4" plywood
and cover the inside with something like white formica? Sort of make
my own stuff but not use the stupid particle board? Maybe use MDF
covered with formica? Maybe simply do a little more research before I
start??

"Swingman" wrote in message tnews.com...
The reason I suggest the BORG for ideas is that they sell kitchen cabinets
sized to industry standard widths and it is a good place to see, touch and
feel.

However, I guarantee that if you do a reasonable job on your own kitchen,
when you walk back through the BORG after you're finished with yours, their
cabinets will ALL look cheap, no matter how good they look now.

Since you are doing this for the first time, grab a copy of a cabinet
company catalog like KraftMaid, etc. ... they generally have pages that show
box sizes and shapes for different.situations and will give you some more
ideas.

Tip: Since you remarked that you may buy the doors and drawer fronts, you
will usually find it easier/cheaper to do the doors by dimensioning your
cabinets to respect the standard widths, or multiples thereof:

The production kitchen cabinets you buy are generally sized in 3" increments
as to width, i.e., 12", 15", 18", 21", 24", 27", etc.

Get a copy of John Paquay's book for your basic boxes ... forget all the
others, except for ideas and installation tips.

Stand on the backs of those who have gone before you and you won't go wrong,
despite any inexperience. By the time you make your second cabinet, you'll
likely be "experienced" enough to do the entire job without further worry.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03